When do you make the decision to dispatch a chick that isn't doing well?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by nbuuifx, May 22, 2019.

1. nbuuifx

nbuuifx Chirping

Apr 20, 2013
    I've posted about my hatch on another topic, in basic terms I put 15 eggs in. 13 eggs were infertile :(

The two fertile eggs have continued to develop. On day 21 I found that they had both pipped but no further progress was made. I kept humidity as high as I could whilst I was awake.

On day 22 (today), one of the chicks had successfully hatched and was all fluffed up.

The other one had not. Oddly it had pipped again on the opposite side, so must have moved round inside. This pip was larger and I could see the white membrane had shrunk inside and dried out. I decided to assist a little. On removing part of the shell I found the white had effectively shrunk wrapped onto the chick. The chick did start to perk up a bit so I left it longer. During the day I have assisted at various stages. The chick is now out but doesn't look well. It is lying on its side and moves its legs every so often. It chirps loudly and is breathing but that is it. We didn't have any bleeding, I used water to help soften the membrane.

So how long do I leave the chick in this state? Is there anything more I can do? Should I be considering dispatching it at this point? I don't want it to suffer.

I have also considered the other chick growing up on its own. I have found a local place that hatches every Wednesday and I can pick up so day old chicks tomorrow to give it company.

2. the cluck juggler

the cluck juggler Incubator Addict

Jun 12, 2017
    Scandinavia
    It's probably exhausted from the difficult hatch. If it got shrink wrapped it must have spent an enormous amount of energy trying to move itself around in the egg. Good call helping it! Let it rest for a day and see what happens.
    You can try putting its beak into water, but at this point, it needs rest.
    Have some vitamin enhanced water (sav-a-chick?) ready for when it gets more lively.

Robert G likes this.
  3. Virginia and James

Virginia and James Songster

Dec 20, 2017
    Western North Carolina
    Agreed! Let the little one rest for several hours before making the hard choice. She's probably just very tired.
    If you see something incompatible with life, make that decision. Tired chick? Let her sleep, check back in a couple hours. And congrats!

Robert G likes this.
  4. nbuuifx

nbuuifx Chirping

Apr 20, 2013
    Do you think it will pick up then?

It hasn't fluffed up at all and hasn't attempted to stand. It looks very weak.

It's eye seems to be stuck shut on one side. I'm not holding out much hope if I'm honest but I haven't really been in this position before. They've either lived or died in the past.

I'll try and post a picture to show you what I mean...

5. nbuuifx

nbuuifx Chirping

Apr 20, 2013
    Here is a picture

Attached Files:

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    How long has it been out of the shell?
    Give it another 12 hours.

7. nbuuifx

nbuuifx Chirping

Apr 20, 2013
    When I took that picture, it had been fully out of the shell for about 5 hours. It is now more like 18 hours. (I haven't checked on it yet this morning)

Does it need anything to give it strength?

Does it need anything further to remove any of the sticky membrane? Most is removed but the feathers and fluff still seem a bit sticky.

I do seem to recall in previous hatches if a chick isn't quick enough in the Octagon 20 then it does seem to suffer with drying the eggs out. Is there anything I can do differently to help this next time?

Does the chick still need high humidity now it is out of the shell?

8. nbuuifx

nbuuifx Chirping

Apr 20, 2013
    Good news - I'm quite surprised but it has all fluffed up and is walking about. It seems weak compared to the other one but I'm much more hopeful today!

9. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

What I do is put weak babies into a paper towel lined margarine container till they find their feet. Leave inside the incubator. That one appears to be still absorbing the yolk. It can take up to 24 hours and don't give it anything by mouth till it's able to do it on its own.

the cluck juggler and Robert G like this.
  10. nbuuifx

nbuuifx Chirping

Apr 20, 2013
    Both chicks are doing well - The darker one is the one that hatched first. The lighter one is the one that I had to assist and I didn't think would make it.

Any idea on breed? The darker one is larger than the lighter one. They should both be the same. I was told they were leghorn eggs from the farm. These have feathered feet and legs though which I didn't think leghorns had. They did have French Marans and Cochins at the same place though so I wonder if they are a bit of a mix?!

Just fingers crossed that they are both girls! 2 boys would be annoying!
    S1.jpg SP1.jpg

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: