When do you make the executive decision regarding egg removal?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rachelcb80, Nov 11, 2011.

1. rachelcb80

rachelcb80 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2011
    Mississippi
    On what day do you decide certain eggs are not developing and need to be tossed? How big of a risk am I taking if I don't throw out any eggs until lockdown? I really don't want an explosion but I also don't want to throw out an egg that might possibly be good due to my candling inexperience.

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Quote:By day 10 if there still clear I remove them. I'm not experienced enough to say "Hey this one's a quitter it needs to go!" So if they have progressed I leave them. Now I will remove the ones at lockdown that you can totally tell they quit mid way. And I always smell them when I candle!!

3. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Day 10 if they are clear they go bye bye..Ive had one exploid on me and YOU DO NOT WANT THAT HAPPENING [​IMG] by day 10 nothing will grow if it hasnt started..actually by day 6-7 same holds true but I stick to day 10 to toss and dont second guess myself:)

4. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    It's a pretty easy call with white eggs or light brown eggs. However, with tinted or dark brown eggs, it isn't easy to see whether or not they're developing. I'm not an expert, but unless I detect a bad odor, I plan to keep all mine in the incubator. Last time there was one egg that I was sure wasn't doing anything because all the others had hatched and it was still there - but I couldn't see inside because it was a dark welsummer egg. I kept the bator going anyway, though, and decided to wait a couple extra days. Two days after all the others hatched, out popped a chick. So I don't give up on an egg unless I'm absolutely certain it's a dud.

5. rachelcb80

Sep 22, 2011
    Mississippi
    Okay, so toss clear ones on Day 10. I can handle that. What about ones that have something going on (veining, dark spot) but don't seem as advanced as some of the others. Do you let them stay or do you toss them under the idea they quit developing some time ago?

6. rachelcb80

Sep 22, 2011
    Mississippi
    Barred Babies, I reread your post and it looks like you let anything stay that had some progression past clear. At lockdown, anything that I can still see veining on and that is mostly clear, I should toss, right?

7. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:If their is veining and a chick growing they stay -if its a blood ring bye bye
    Im telling yah ...if its clear or nowhere near the advancment of the others-they are gone...I've gotten tot he point where I can tell good from bad before its hits the danler light fully...If you geta great light-all your questions will be answered...

8. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Quote:Right if I see progression then I leave it. When I candle at lockdown you can really tell when something stopped way before. Check this link https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=261876 and look at the later pictures and really judge it yourself. You WILL get better with determining what is what like sonew123 said. At first your so leery about getting rid of anything just in case!! Then after you do it more & more you just know!! Also like sonew123 said you get to where you can just tell with barely any light. I have a Brinsea Ovascope and alot of time I can just put the egg on it without even putting the cover on it and know what's what!! I still tend to err on the side of caution!!

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I candle on day 10 and day18 when I put the eggs in the hatcher. Any that are clear go bye bye on day 10. If I see any development I leave them until day 18 and then check them again and if they haven't progressed then they go. There have been some times when I marked an egg thinking it was a quitter but the shell was pretty full but not as full as usual and on day 21 to day 23 the marked eggs hatched to my surprise. One egg I was going to toss on day 23 and when I picked it up I heard peeping. It had pipped the bottom side of the egg. I chipped some of the shell away and moistened the membrane and put it back into the hatcher and it hatched.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by