1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When do you make your chicken sleep inside at night?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Clarebaxter, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Clarebaxter

Clarebaxter Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2013
    My chickens started roosting outside in their yard on a tree branch I put up high for them, about five feet off the ground. Three still go into the house at night. It was so hot this summer I let them stay out. Also my bedroom window is near the coop so I would hear if a predator tried to get in. Now it is getting cold and I would like to sleep with my window closed. Will they natural go inside as the temperatures drop or should I start making them go inside? This is my first flock and their first winter. Temperature will drop below freezing this weekend here in Boise.

2. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  3. Clarebaxter

Clarebaxter Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2013
    I did that when they first went into the coop/yard. They are in and out of the coop all day, they lay their eggs inside. 6 chickens roost outside at night (except for the Silkie Rooster and the two youngest hens). The Rooster can't get up to the roost and the two youngest hens follow him into the coop. I have nine chickens and the coop is definitely big enough for them all to sleep in but I would think it would be too crowded for them all to be in there 24/7 for a week. The hot weather drove them out of the coop at night, wondering if the cold weather will drive them back or if I need to put them in at night. It is in the high 30's now so I am not too worried but next week the temperature is going to drop.

Are they smart enough to go in when it gets too cold?

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I had a rooster and two hens live in trees for 2 years and do just fine. Even with pouring rain, wind storms, hail, freezing temps, whatever--they roosted in the tree and were quite happy and healthy. I was more worried about predators than weather.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by