When do you put a hen down?

DianeB

Crowing
15 Years
Mar 12, 2009
My favorite had a bad case of sour crop. Was treated by a vet and made a miracle recovery. Then her crop got bad again after the last dosage. She's on another round of medication. But, each day seems worse. Her crop is still big, very lethargic and won't eat or drink on her own. Also, she has green diarrhea.
I still have a little hope she will turn around. Never dealt with sour crop. So, not sure how bad it gets.
If she won't get better I would like to save her pain and have her put down.

My favorite had a bad case of sour crop. Was treated by a vet and made a miracle recovery. Then her crop got bad again after the last dosage. She's on another round of medication. But, each day seems worse. Her crop is still big, very lethargic and won't eat or drink on her own. Also, she has green diarrhea.
I still have a little hope she will turn around. Never dealt with sour crop. So, not sure how bad it gets.

Sorry about your hen. Are you sure the crop is not blocked? If it is, it could take surgery to fix the problem.

When to euthanize is a personal decision. If she's stopped drinking she can dehydrate fairly quickly. Hope she turns the corner and starts to get better, but from your description is doesn't sound promising.

Sorry.

I don't know how to treat sour crop but I do know how to get quality , quick nutrition to this bird. Run to Tractor Supply or your feed store and buy the smallest bottle of Poultry or Goat Nutri-Drench. Use the Poultry Instructions for both formulas. Give the bird several drops by mouth. It is very concentrated. Repeat as needed every 8-10 hours until perky. See their website: http://www.nutridrench.com This emergency nutritional supplement does not need digesting. It mainlines directly into the bloodstream, measurable in poultry in 10 minutes with 99% utilization. All natural. I have used it with great success for over a decade in my poultry and collie dogs. It will be up taken by the mouth and throat and does not need to pass by the crop issue to be useful
Best,
Karen
The folk at Bovidr Labs are very helpful.

I've been giving her avian recovery formula and water by syringe. Just now she pooped out a weird piece of wood or plastic.
Have you dealt with sour crop before? Can it get this bad?

Sorry about your hen.  Are you sure the crop is not blocked?  If it is, it could take surgery to fix  the problem.

When to euthanize is a personal decision.  If she's stopped drinking she can dehydrate fairly quickly. Hope she turns the corner and starts to get better, but from your description is doesn't sound promising.

Sorry. 

​I don't know how to treat sour crop but I do know how to get quality , quick nutrition to this bird. Run to Tractor Supply or your feed store and buy the smallest bottle of Poultry or Goat Nutri-Drench. Use the Poultry Instructions for both formulas. Give the bird several drops by mouth. It is very concentrated. Repeat as needed every 8-10 hours until perky. See their website:  http://www.nutridrench.com This emergency nutritional supplement does not need digesting. It mainlines directly into the bloodstream, measurable in poultry in 10 minutes with 99% utilization. All natural. I have used it with great success for over a decade in my poultry and collie dogs. It will be up taken by the mouth and throat and does not need to pass by the crop issue to be useful
 Best,
 Karen
The folk at Bovidr Labs are very helpful.

My local feed store has vet rx. Said it's the same thing. Ever heard of it?

Without being too disgusting, did you examine the 'wood / plastic' poop piece more closely? It's not a very clear photo and it's hard to see what it is.

What has her poop been like the last few days? The last picture you posted isn't 'normal', but it proves that she is at least eating something that is passing through her system and being more or less digested. What has she eaten recently?

Back
Top Bottom