When do you put injured bird back

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by texasshell, Aug 20, 2010.

1. texasshell

texasshell Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2010
    Marion, TX
    My hen is doing so much better that was injured earlier this week. She has been in a dog crate in the coop all week and of course not happy. I have treated it daily and she still has a wound and bald spots. It no longer looks raw and she is eating, drinking and pooping fine.
    My question is have any of you put a bird back this soon, with some kind of "no-pick" dressing on their injured area? I will be gone most of the day tomorrow and hate to think if she spills her water (she does quite often) and I won't be able to check on her.
    BTW for those that were interested in how the Vetercyn worked, it is truly a wonder dressing. I could see improvements right away. It is safe enough to use anywhere, pricey but I think it is well worth it.

2. Lorije1

Lorije1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    I would think if she is mobile enough, and has enough room to get out of the way she would be ok?

3. texasshell

texasshell Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2010
    Marion, TX
    Thanks for answering Lori. Wow this is a hard crowd to be heard in.[​IMG]
    I felt the same and after doctoring her behind I put on the "no-pick" paste and put her out with the others. So far it is going well, will watch her off and on throughout the day.

4. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

when the wound is not open or when its closed by something not red colored. When she is fully mobile and eating and drinking normally.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by