When do you put on Saddles?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bustermommy, Jul 6, 2011.

1. bustermommy

bustermommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    I have just introduced a rooster to my ladies. They are only 12(ish) weeks old and he is a couple of weeks older. He has taken over his guardianship duties very well, but has not tried to mate them. I'd like to have saddles on them so they don't get hurt, but am not sure when to put them on. I'm afraid it's too hot to have them on before they are necessary. Anybody have
    any advice/experience?

TIA

2. bustermommy

Apr 16, 2011
    anybody?

3. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    I really can't see it nessicary, chickens mate fine without our messing in the process. I could see the saddles causing risk too so unless some special case where high value show birds were involved or it was done to protect a small, injured or overmated hen I just can't see it being the best idea.

Sounds like the chickens are young yet, may be closer to the 16 to 20 week range before you see much going on. Hens will get red about the face and will start to squat. Roo may be a bit rough at first but most times they settle down once the get past the teenage stage.

As long as you have a few hens 6 or so and the roos spurs are kept trimmed once he is about a year old you should not have problems.

4. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    I only put saddles on if necessary, if a favorite hen gets over-mated. Also, I will put it on for a week and then take it off for a few days to give the area a chance to "breathe."

5. Engteacher

Engteacher Poultry, Poetry, and Prose

Sep 1, 2009
    Hastings, MN
    If you start seeing many broken feathers on your hens' backs, then it's time.

6. bustermommy

Apr 16, 2011
    Thanks all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by