When do you say when with an egg??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tbmorgan, Nov 7, 2013.

1. tbmorgan

tbmorgan Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2013
    Ok, I have a dilemma...
    Last weekend, I hatched out my first ever batch of eggs in my little incubator in my kitchen. I had 9 go to lockdown, and 8 hatched (5 on day 20, and the other 3 on day 21.) Egg #9 has done nothing. I still have it in the bator, because when I candle it, I swear I think I see a pulsing movement every so often...
    We are now on day 26 with this egg. Do I risk making a very small peep hole and peeking inside? Even though I can see that the chick has not pipped internally? I would feel really bad if this chick is alive and I wind up killing it because it really just wants to take its sweet time, but on the other hand, what if it needs help? At what point do you intervene? I know it is rare, but sometimes chicks take several days to a week after they are due to hatch. I am not experienced enough at this, especially candling (and this is a brown egg so even harder to see what's going on) and I am not sure if I am imagining things and the chick is even alive.
    I guess I'm looking for both advice and moral support here.

Katja

p.s. side note: the other 8 are doing fabulously well! This is a pic that I thought was especially cute:
    [​IMG]

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    8 chicks out of 9 eggs is awesome odds. i wouldnt think the last on is good. sometimes when i look and think i see movement it is the yolk that is moving. did you candle and see a live embryo early on? you could do a pip hole but be aware if its bad of the chance of it exploding . scared me a couple of times. and look at it as an egg autopsy not a rescue mission.

3. tbmorgan

Mar 22, 2013
    Well....I kind of look at it this way, at this point: if it hasn't done anything by day 27, there's a reason. There is no change today. Tomorrow I will be holding a funeral for an egg. I have 8 happy, healthy Peeps in my brooder!

4. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    no, its not going to do anything. you should take it outside and open it so you would know what you were looking at. but if you insist on a funeral , where do i send the flowers? hehe

5. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have heard of eggs hatching around the 27th day but I don't think it happens often. If you do decide to hold a funeral you should make a pip hole and look inside to see if the chick died for an unknown reason or never formed properly, at least that's what I usually do when an egg doesn't hatch. :)

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  6. tbmorgan

Mar 22, 2013
    the chick didn't make it. I made a tiny hole, but there was no sign of life. I buried it in my little pet memorial garden, under a hydrangea. RIP little Peep.

7. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aww, sorry for your loss. :( But on the bright side 8 out of 9 eggs hatched!

8. Krischick

Krischick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2013
    Willard Mo
    Day 28 :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by