When do you send out your Christmas cards?

Rhett&SarahsMom

Songster
11 Years
May 8, 2008
I was going to order some special ones this year, but at this point I dont see that happening. So I am going looking for cards this weekend at some point.

English Chick, we'll all be waiting by our mailboxes when your cards arrive!

My DH and I will be sending out cards whenever we can get warm enough to hold a pen in our cold little hands!

I usually send them out every other year. Either I get too busy, or forget, or just don't want to.

But then I get cards from others, and realize how nice it is to get them, and I rush to get them sent out in time.

roll.png

We send out 150 - 200 cards every year and very few people return the favor.

Isn't there a rule that if you get a card you should return a card??? Has Christmas card etiquette bit the dust?

This year we are sending out 0 cards. I wonder if anyone will notice.

I've sent them out as early as the weekend after Thanksgiving (because people always pay the most attention to the first card they get!) or as late as the 19th, whenever I get around to it. Here's a question I have...
How do you decide who to send cards to? Do you just keep a perennial list of people that you send to year after year, or do you base it on who you receive cards from the previous year, or do you go a certain distance on the family tree, or what is your "policy"?
This drives me crazy, as I have a huge family scattered around the country and world, some card senders, some not, some I'm fairly close to, some I'm not, some I rarely see, some I never see and won't be surprised if I never see again for the rest of my life since they live on the other side of the globe and I've never really known them.

Quote:
Well I for one will be highly offended to be crossed off your card list!

(I've often wanted to skip doing cards, and maybe that's a good idea, with stamps being 42 cents now.)

Quote:
I wondered about that for years...until my Grandmother's funeral when the family was finally assembled for the first time in 20 years. I was getting introduced to my cousin's kids that I had never seen and one of her boys said, "Wow, the one that sent me a Christmas card!" It's about the potential joy you are sending someone else and you really don't know how it will be received but it doesn't take much to buy a few boxes really cheap after Christmass and put them away with your decorations for the next year and throw a stamp on it when the time comes around. Everyone is military, former military, or military brat. We are really scattered.

Christmas cards are one of my favorite things about the holiday. I am not really picky when it comes to most things but I draw the line on Christmas cards. I sometimes feel that some of the cheapest cards have the most sentiment in them. I find big fancy glittery cards have no sentiment, only Merry Christmas and etc. I try to look for cards that have a nature theme, oldtime family theme. I usually don't send out the same card to everyone as there are people on my list that tend to be religious so I send them a religious card. I have a huge collection of cards from previous years LOL! I always want to buy new ones and I already have a ton of nice old ones. I try to get a start on my cards early, but haven't done so yet. I have already gotten 2 cards already. I have a tendency to write one of those what I have been up to the past year letters. Sometimes I hate to get one of those form letters that people send out. I know people have a long list and it cuts down on letter writing but to get a form letter from a relative that starts out as "Dear Friends"? I mean I am family afterall. I display all my cards I receive from people on the desk where I set up my little tree.

Back
Top Bottom