When do you seperate your geese

Discussion in 'Geese' started by horsefeather, Jan 7, 2011.

1. horsefeather

horsefeather Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2010
    Hello all,
    I have sebs, 6 females and 3 males, well, 4 if you count the Canadian Gander. Two of my geese have already paired up and would like to stay by themselves. I shall give them their wish in a couple of days. However, I see no evidence of anyone else pairing. How long do I wait before I choose for them? [​IMG]
    Thanks,
    Pam

2. Omniskies

Omniskies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    Geese start pairing up in November. Usually in January they become serious about their pairings since breeding season is right around the corner. I try to separate mine out in November/December, but I tend to be a little lazy about it. My American Buffs have been together for so long that they snub the Pilgrims every year - I've never had an issue with them deciding to swap over to the other flock.

If you don't have them separated by now then you really should. Traditionally the first eggs are in almost exactly one month from today and you want to make sure they were fertilized by the right Romeo if you plan on selling pure goslings or hatching eggs - or if you just want pure babies.

3. horsefeather

horsefeather Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2010
    Thank you Omniskies,
    Actually, 1 of my older sebs has already laid 6 eggs. I know the gander is breeding her because I have seen them. Not sure whether these eggs will hatch since it's so early, but I have them in the incubator just in case. I will begin seperating everybody tomorrow. I will just have to choose I guess who goes with who. No one else has shown any signs of pairing. The gander with the older seb won't breed with anyone else until she begans to set, at least that's what he did last year. Didn't get any live hatchlings last year...long story. Anyway, I really would like to have pure birds, which I will, with the exception of the Canadian, as he flys into their yard whenever he wants, but I can tell his babies.
    Thank you for your information.
    Pam

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by