When do you start feeding grain?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Blue Ridge Hillbilly, May 12, 2011.

1. Blue Ridge Hillbilly

Blue Ridge Hillbilly Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2009
    Western NC
    At what age to any of you start feeding a little cracked grain to your growers?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Edited to add: I think you mean just as a treat, after I reread your post. I would feel comfortable offering cracked corn as a treat at around 3 weeks.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

I start feeding whole grains at around 6 weeks. Cracked corn, rolled barley, and rolled oats are included in my feed mix.

I sometimes will sneak a few shelled sunflower seeds and flax seeds to the ones under 6 weeks old. But for the most part, I just feed organic chick starter until 6 weeks.

They could handle the smaller seeds/grains IMO at 4 weeks, but I don't like to switch them over until I am confident that I can get the proper protein content into them with my mix. I don't want them to be out of balance.

They need a lot of protein when growing. 20% is good. 17% minimum for growers.

My mix tends to be less than that. I don't like to overburden them with too many seeds. And they don't like it either.

Last edited: May 12, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by