When do you start incubating?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by wowmanacat, Jul 26, 2011.

1. wowmanacat

wowmanacat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Oak Grove AR
    This was the first yr that I have ever had chickens and hatched my own eggs. Being that I really don't have room the go yr round my last hatch was around 4 weeks ago and they are about to outside. What I am wondering is for next yr when do you start your first hatch out. I was thinking around March so that they would be able to go outside around May 1st. I do get tired of all the dust from them but I have to have some meat birds next yr and I did hatch out some WLRC this yr I just hope I can get enough to hatch next yr to fill up my freezer, but they are a very slow growing bird.

2. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Sorry I missed this thread yesterday.

My house gets very dusty and I'm allergic to feathers! LOL My most recent batch just went out side permanently last weekend. Most breeders hatch early in the year, keeping those birds for them selves, after satisfying their own needs they then incubate to sell the hatched chicks. At least this is my impression after reading on BYC for about 9 months.

Do what works for you. Seems like people are still looking for chicks and still incubating. Probably not nearly the number as in the spring/winter but this section of BYC is still hopping!

GL

3. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    I have a last peafowl egg and 4 chickens in the incubator now. When those hatch Monday, I am done for the year.
    This was my first year too. It will be my 3rd hatch. Next year I plan to start in early March.
    [​IMG]

4. wowmanacat

Apr 1, 2011
    Oak Grove AR
    My last hatch was in may. I am not sure when I will start next year.

5. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    We will start February/March and not end till Sept/Oct. All of our hatchlings go outside around 3 weeks old in raised grow out pens.

6. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

I start in January/February depending on the type of chick and how many I am planning on hatching

7. wowmanacat

Apr 1, 2011
    Oak Grove AR
    AT this point I am not all the sure of when I will be starting my hatching next year, I am trying to plan a vacation or we might be buying a house not sure of what will have yet.

8. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I start watching auctions probably around January. Usually around that time most chickens will start up laying again as the light changes this year I have done 2 hatches so far. I have quail eggs in bator for neighbor and am waiting on some eggs I won in an auction. I have a broody setting 2 eggs. After all this I will probably be done until I go to nationals in November.
    Good luck

9. BrownSheep

BrownSheep Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    I had "thought" I was done after my last batch hatched in June...but I really need to stop looking at hatching eggs. Due to a really good deal I have 15 eggs due for the 17th

10. kelseygirl707

kelseygirl707 Dances with Chickens

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    Wait.... You all stop hatching???? LOL Us hatchaholics hatch whenever, all year long [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by