when do you start the "days" count down.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jdeggs, Apr 13, 2012.

1. The day they were laid

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. The day they went into the incubator

6 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. jdeggs

jdeggs Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2012
    AL
    This is my first time hatching eggs. My question may sound silly, but better safe than sorry.

My Brahmas were laid on April 3rd, they were placed in the incubator on April 8th (received via us Mail). At day 18, they go in lock down.

Do I count the days from when they were laid or from when they went into the incubator?

2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

The first day started when you put them into the incubator.

3. smchickfarm

smchickfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    Waynesville,OH
    from when they went into the incubator!!!

Good luck to you and keep us posted!!! [​IMG]

4. jdeggs

Apr 13, 2012
    AL
    Thank You!!!!

5. jdeggs

Apr 13, 2012
    AL
    I have 8 buff Brahmas in there right now. Unfortunately, it very hard to see how the 6 dark brown ones are doing. The two light brown eggs...one has the dark spot (hooray) and the other I think has a blood ring (boo hoo). Worried about the dark brown ones.

Maintaining 99.5 degrees and 51 humidity in a little giant with fan.

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    :frow Welcome to the forum and the adventure! :frow Glad you joined us! :frow

As they said, incubation starts when they go in the incubator.

Many people count the days wrong. It seems logical that Day 1 would be the day you put them in, but that is not right.

An egg does not have 24 hours worth of development two seconds or two hours after it goes in the incubator. It takes 24 hours for it to have a day's worth of development. Lockdown should be after 18 days of development. Eggs should hatch after 21 days of development. An easy way to tell when they should hatch is that they should hatch the day of the week you put them in. If you started them on a Sunday, they should hatch on a Sunday.

Since you started them on Sunday April 8, lockdown should be Thursday April 26. Hatch should be Sunday April 29.

Just because chicken eggs should hatch after 21 days worth of development does not mean they actually will. Many things like heredity, humidity, how they were stored before incubation, and the size of the eggs can cause them to be early or late. The big thing that can really change hatch day is incubation temperature. If your incubator is a bit warm, they can hatch two or more days early. If your incubator is a bit cool, they can be that much late. It can be nerve-wracking for sure.

If a question saves you from a mistake it is not silly. Feel free to ask anything.

7. Okay...I made my own short term incubator...it's styrofoam cheapo with a 25 w. light bulb and water in a dish for humidity. It's holding in range temp and humidity. This is my first time hatching some eggs...(they are not here just yet...should be today January 18th 2014. They where mailed Jan. 16th 2014.) Okay...From what Im reading...you start incubation at the DAY your eggs come to room temp (from being delivered in the cold weather) and put into the cooler~bator? The cooler~bator is STILL air.

Also: I am waiting on parts for a large 48 Qt cooler I got from Walmart. I will be using the Hot water tank thermostat with two light bulbs and Pc fan,Extension cord, 12 V DC From an old Cell phone, glass for viewing, and a Light ON indicator light. I found it on You tube...holds it's temp well and circulates air flow. So Im trying that out.
    The cooler was only $18.89 and wire IN light sockets are cheap. Pc fans can be found on ebay CHEAP! Total cost bout: LESS than $50 for all. EASY TO BUILD! Look up RUSH LANE Poultry on the net or You tube Rush-Lane How to Cooler-bator.
    He has 48 Videos of different stuff most are VERY DETAILED about the easy wiring and how to set them up or modify...EASY and simple to follow!

8. rayray983

rayray983 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2013
    cushman arkansas
    Its easier to count to count days like this the day I put egg in incubator is day 0 then 24 hrs later is day 1 and so on

9. Brighton chick

Brighton chick New Egg

Feb 2, 2014
    OMG, this is my first hatch and I thought I'd been SO careful... It turns out I actually did lock down on day 17, by mistake, thinking it was day 18. The poor things were not turned that day. I also reduced the temp to 37C from 37.5, and of course whacked up humidity too early. No wonder nothing is happening today, as it's really day 20, not 21.i hope I haven't killed/ hurt them.

10. rayray983

rayray983 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2013
    cushman arkansas
    They should be okay will just take a day or two longer to hatch :) studies have shown that you can stop turning after day 14 and no adverse effects

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by