When do you stop checking chicks vents?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chickengirl47, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Chickengirl47

Chickengirl47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2012
    Louisiana
    I have three week old white silkie bantam chicks, and I've been checking there vents every day. My question was, when do you stop checking your chicks vents?

Thanks!

2. CluckyCharms

CluckyCharms Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't think it's something you ever want to stop doing completely...as even adult chickens have vent problems such as prolapse, infection, impaction, etc. It's up to each person how often they feel their chickens need to have their vents checked.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  3. Chickengirl47

Feb 7, 2012
    Louisiana
    They have not had any vent problems for two weeks.

4. Chickengirl47

Feb 7, 2012
    Louisiana
    Also, I let my chicks out alot during the day, so I need to check there vents when I put them back in their brooder.

5. CluckyCharms

CluckyCharms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apple cider vinegar "with the mother" in their drinking water - I've heard helps prevent pasty butt along with a whole host of other things, too. Mine don't like the taste of it for some silly reason, but I think the bottle may have been bad...so I ordered more.

I'm confused as to why you're asking the question then, if you let them out every day and believe you need to check their vents before they're placed back in the brooder...then continue to do what you feel is necessary for your specific chickens.

As for me, I'll continue to check their vents every 2 days (regardless of whether they're outside or in their brooder). Once they're out of the brooder and into the coop and the yard - I'll check once per week unless they show signs of ill health.

People need to check their chickens' feet, vents, eyes, feathers, skin, beaks - every part of their body, as often as they feel is beneficial to their specific chickens. If you feel it is important to check their tushies every day then continue to do it. I feel it is not necessary to look at their vents every day, so I don't.

Additionally, there are members here who don't check their vents whatsoever - ever - unless there appears to be something wrong with their chooks:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/351500/how-often-do-you-check-vents

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I've never checked a vent unless there seems to be an issue.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by