When do you stop free ranging in advance of winter (Southern Ontario)

zhivago

In the Brooder
Jan 2, 2022
I was wondering if anyone has a rule of thumb for when to just not let the chickens out of their protected run to free range. We are into Fall here and it has been nice so i have been letting them out. I put bird tape and reflectors up for hawks. The area they free range in is pretty protected with foilage in the summer but now they have less cover. There are 10 hens and one (just mature) rooster.

They seem to be mainly hanging in their protected run anyway. I was just wondering if it is time to just restrict them to that now it is almost mid-November.

When considering advantages related to foraging, I contain the birds once they cease leaving the immediate vicinity of the roost. That can be due to snow or due to little gained through actual foraging as the only crop fill comes from visiting feeder.

When it comes to predator issues, then it is based on repeated loss that is more than I consider sustainable. A couple birds spread out over several weeks is okay. Loosing them with regularity or having a small flock where any losses are a problem is when birds are confined.

I plan on letting my birds have free range as long as possible. They will always have the chance to take cover if needed, and plenty of enrichment in their run so they don't start pecking at each other from boredom if they do have a few days where they stay in their protecting run. My only worry is wind damage or frostbite on feet and legs, but that's less of a concern if I can keep them dry enough and out of the wind (that, however, is the tricky part). I will likely confine them to the run if there is a blizzard or a really bad windy day, if they aren't staying under cover on their own. Otherwise, they do seem to decide to take shelter when they need it.

Mine hated snow. Wouldn't step foot on it, lol. I would leave the covered run door open, but they would leave it.

Back
Top Bottom