When do you stop turning when you don't know the hatch date? New ?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by taraann81, May 2, 2009.

1. taraann81

taraann81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    I rescued a nest of mallard eggs from being plowed under in a field. I don't know how far along they are.

How do I know when to up humidity and stop turning?

If I wait for a pip would that be too late?

Or is there another sign I could look for to know if they will be hatching soon?

I candled but I don't have enough experience to guesstimate how far along they are by the way the candleing looked.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Last edited: May 4, 2009
  2. NancyP

NancyP Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Bonifay,Florida
    I am no expert but I have read on here of chicks hatching with the turner still on. So just watch and turn it off at the first signs of hatching and it should be fine. Good luck to ya.

3. taraann81

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    The only problem is I have 3 sets of eggs in the bator and they all have different hatch dates. I think the mallards will be first, silkies then Muscovies. I guess then I will move them in the hatcher when they start to pip, hope it goes well and thanks.

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Did you ask this on the waterfowl thread already? If not, there was someone that had a post over there very similar to this one!

Anyway, when the eggs are close to hatching, you will be able to see NOTHING but the air cell. The rest of the egg will be dark. I would move them to the hatcher then, a few days without turning if you are too early won't hurt them a bit. Just keep your humidity around 65%, this level is safe for ducks for hatching or incubating [​IMG]

5. taraann81

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    Thanks for the advice. I will do that and I will check on the water fowl thread.

6. taraann81

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    I think I saw the eggs moving. How long before they hatch? Should I put them in the hatcher now?

7. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:If the eggs are moving, that means they are getting into position to hatch. I would go ahead and move them to the hatcher, if it is early it won't hurt them.

8. taraann81

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    Shelely2008. Thanks you for the advice! They are moved and I am so excited about it!

9. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

Good luck with your hatch. just be patient and remember that momma gets off the nest from time to time and cools down the eggs and gets them wet occasionally with the drippings from her down. They should be fine. Keep your hands off that bator after you move them. (unless you see they are in great distress!) [​IMG]

10. taraann81

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    Thanks I won't touch it! I bet it is hard though, I will have to leave the house just to avoid it I think! I will let you know how it goes and thanks for the advice and good wishes!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by