When do you take yours off heat?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by mochicken, Dec 20, 2011.

1. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    I have quail that are about 16 days and are already mostly feathered, I have them in a brooder with a heat light but I figured when they get fully feathered you can pull them off the heat light right? I considered taking them off the light and then in 3-4 days take them out to the "quail shed" which actually has a heat light because the spoiled birds in there had it when I got them so they would have access to a heat light but its really only about 30 degrees in that shed at night, im sure they could get under the heat light and be 70 degrees or whatever directly under the light but the general air temp is probably 30 at night and 45 during the day

2. TedJan92_in_Idaho

TedJan92_in_Idaho Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Cocolalla Idaho
    Up here where I am I think once you have started this time of year you leave them on it till it starts to warm up. Its cold now and its going to get down below 0 before its over with. After this year I will not be hatching in the winter. I'm basically doing it for meat so I will hatch all spring and summer, fill the freezers then pickle eggs.

3. keckels

keckels Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    I'd be interested too. All mine are in my garage. Water hasn't froze yet, so I know it hasn't gotten to terribly cold. The 4-5 wk olds are completely without light, but they had a 100 watt bulb to 3 wks at which time I weaned them by off during day on at night. Here in western ks it can get single digits or negative digits for a stretch.

4. mochicken

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    But I can take them off and leave them in the house in a brooder without heat for a while then take them out to the shed with the light?

5. rittert3

rittert3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    I would, and maybe just put a small space heater in the room if it's below about 55 in the room their in, like a garage, basement, ect.

6. mochicken

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    I have them in my dining room, I took them out and put them in a storage tote with no heat and they seem to be doing fine, they are eating and drinking and not all piled up

7. rittert3

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    From my experience young poultry will "tell" you if they're cold. Just try it and see if you hear alot of complaining, it's my method anyway.

8. mochicken

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    no "complaining" as of yet but since I put them in a shorter tote I have had several prisoners escape and take cover in my living room and kitchen lol, I put a lid on them and the dummies started thumping their heads so I replaced that with a blanket, it will keep them in and protect their lil silly heads lol

9. rittert3

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    Lol ya get that cover on I lost a whole hatch of 8 bobs that way in my dads basement years back, and then found them over the next few months, lol.

10. keckels

keckels Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Quote:You must have a very understanding wife. We got 15 inches snow here, after scooping 3 ft high drifts out of the runs my wife says "I guess we could clean out the storage room downstairs for all of them". I'm not even that understanding; I said they are used to the cold & I'll keep them as dry as possible & as draft free as possible. Now the coturnix, I have a softer heart for them, that's why they get the garage where I can extend the daylight hours & keep them laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by