when do you think she will lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ilovechickensrock, Oct 28, 2011.

1. ilovechickensrock

ilovechickensrock Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2011
    this barred rock is named hoover and i dont know how old she is and i was wondering if you could tell me when she will lay and possibly how old she is
    heres hoover this pic is two weeks old she has a little bigger comb and a redder face i will post a pic tommorow of her so u know exactly what she looks like
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/thumbs/105869_dscf0078.jpg

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    She should be laying soon but also with the shorter daylight hours it can affect her laying. Is she getting at least 14 hours light a day?

3. Mommy 2 Wee Ones

Mommy 2 Wee Ones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    North Texas
    I say you have a few more weeks to go.

[​IMG]

This is Fiesta, and this was taken the last week of Aug., It was another 3 weeks before she laid, and she is my largest BR, it was my middle sized BR Baby Girl who laid first.

This is how I can tell my 3 girls apart, Fiesta has the least black on her beak, has the biggest waddle & comb, and is the largest of the three. Baby Girl has a medium size waddle & comb, more black on her beak, and a black feather spot on her upper right shoulder.
    Queen Bee is the smallest of the 3 girls, half the size of Fiesta, smaller comb & waddle, and her beak is almost all black. But as you can see, the comb & waddle are full bright red.

Queen Bee's looked like your hen when Fiesta started laying, but it took her a month after Fiesta's first egg before she laid her first.
    Is your hen squatting yet?

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    She's probably around 16 weeks. You still have a few weeks to go - she's still pretty pink in the face. She'll turn really red when she's close to laying.

5. Magic Birdie

Magic Birdie Overrun With Chickens

May 3, 2011
    Magic Birdie land
    She might not lay in the winter at all [​IMG]

6. ilovechickensrock

Sep 6, 2011
  7. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Very soon.. My BR looked a little redder, but the comb size is the same when she first started. Has she squatted for you yet?

8. ilovechickensrock

Sep 6, 2011
    i think she did alittle today only 2 times does she have to squat all the time when you pet her?

9. DebbieDee

DebbieDee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Boise
    Soon...My barred rock looks like yours.Not quite squatting. She is 21 weeks...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by