When do you throw out the ones that candle clear?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mommyofthreewithchicks, Jan 14, 2011.

1. mommyofthreewithchicks

mommyofthreewithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    It is now day 8 and I have candled 18 -threw one out because of a big crack so out of the 17 left there are 6 that are clear, 6 that are really doing something and 5 that look like they have something in there just unsure of what it really is doing.

So when do I throw out the 6 that are totally clear and give up hope on them?

2. Cranman

Cranman Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2010
    Sanford NC
    Most of what I have read says candle at day 10 and throw out clears, then again at day 18, but not sure what you are lookinf for at day 18...

3. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    I usually throw out clear ones on Day 10. Any that I might be iffy about, I will wait till Day 14. By Day 14 most of the egg should be filled so I figure clear ones are a no-go for sure. I never candle again on Day 18 mainly for that reason - no idea what to look for! People say you can see movement but I have never been able to. I just put them all in and see what happens. By day 25-26 I open any that haven't hatched.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  4. bigdawg

bigdawg AA Poultry

Jun 28, 2009
    middle tenn
    on day 18 that way there is no doubt. good or bad. unless there is a stinker. then i make my wifee do the smell test. l.o.l.

5. shellyga

shellyga Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2010
    Milner
    I candle on day 18 only..and throw out the clears then..

Digdawg..shame on you for putting your wife through that.. [​IMG] lol

Shelly

6. When do you throw out the ones that candle clear?

Hi! On Day 6 here. Clear eggs (non-viable eggs) get hard-boiled and fed back to the birds.
    I've been saving duck egg shells for crafts, so I blow out the non-viable ones and microwave the scrambled egg and then feed it to the birds.
    [​IMG]
    Lisa​

7. mommyofthreewithchicks

Jun 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    Thanks Everyone- I guess since most candle on day 10, I will wait a few more days and then throw out any that are clear (just in case)

Kids and I are super eggcited about incubating our own.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  8. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    I toss any clear eggs between 5 - 10 days. Most people wait till day 10 to candle I always candle on day 3 and 5 and again on day 10 then again on day 17.

9. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    Day 7 I candle and toss clears. My next candle would be on Day 18. (also do a sniff test, yeah sounds silly, but I don't want any stinkers sneaking in lockdown and exploding on me)

10. mommyofthreewithchicks

Jun 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    smell them- boy does that sound wrong. So what does a "good" eggs smell like vs a bad egg? And will someone who has never truely smelled her eggs tell the difference?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by