when do you use your heaters?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Billy-jean, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Billy-jean

Billy-jean Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    Hi,,
    I need to know when is a good time to start using my infra red heater in the coop at night...it's getting colder now,tonight
    will be going down to almost 0 (frost) so should I use the heater?? (I never use to put it on till a lot colder,but my silkies are still young, babies are only 3 months old.)

Thanks in advance [​IMG]

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I only know about large fowl, hardy type breeds. Zero Celcius for you I assume is 32F.

I don't heat. I need my chicks and adults to feather out this time of year. That is, cold nights now force good down growth and feathering. What comes later for us is the potential of -30 which is the same in both C and F, or nearly so. COLD!!

To prepare them, nature's way is to grow heavier, shaggier coats on everything from horses, in the mammal world to down/feather in the bird kingdom. Doing the heat now only leaves them ill-prepared for what is coming. Anyhow, that is my educated 2 cents worth. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  3. Billy-jean

Billy-jean Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    Ok,,we get down to -30 some horrendous january nights too!! So I will go turn it off right now..LOL
    I agree with the acclimatization method as well,,my rabbits already have their winter coats [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by