When do Your Chickens come in for the winter ?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by JackieinYorktown, Jun 20, 2009.

1. JackieinYorktown

JackieinYorktown In the Brooder

Jun 10, 2009
    I am in NY... and was wondering how long you all let the girls stay out when the weather gets cold....
    Last winter we had crazy snow, but other years, it can be more mild.....

2. redoak

redoak Songster

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    I let mine out everyday, unless it's snowing really hard or below 10 F. I do clear an area for them to run around in, they don't like walking in the snow.

3. cowman910

cowman910 Songster

Feb 1, 2009
    Suffolk County,NY
    mine just plow through the snow doesnt seem to slow them down! [​IMG]

4. citrusdreams

citrusdreams Songster

May 4, 2009
    I don't recall my chickens ever not ranging because of the cold, but if you're free ranging your chickens, they should always have access to their coop anyway. That way they can choose to either go out or stay in.

In NY it's a lot colder, so you'd have to keep an eye on them. If they're huddled together or shivering (which I've never seen do), then you'll have to something for them like keep a heat lamp out.

My first year having chickens, I put a heat lamp in the henhouse for them when it dropped into the teens and twenties, especially overnight. I don't do that anymore, though I do check on them. If I look in the henhouse and see that they're somewhat spread out and comfortable and roosting, then I don't worry. It's seldom below freezing here in the daytime, but overnight it can dip into the 20s, 10s and sometimes in the single digits.

It dropped into the single digits overnight a few times and I didn't see anyone uncomfortable, nor did I provide a heat lamp.

Though sometimes when it's that cold, I bring them hot food, like oatmeal or grits, or whey or something they like [​IMG]

5. sandyj

sandyj Songster

Dec 3, 2008
    St.Paul, Minnesota
    Please, please, don't talk about winter already. Summer is barely here. YIKES!!!! I can't stand the thought of winter again. [​IMG]

sandyj

6. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    Even whenever it was 18 at night, I had to force my girls to go inside. That was about the coldest night of the year. They didn't seem bothered by he snow and ice we got... But their run was covered.

7. Monk

Monk Songster

May 10, 2009
    Quote:Take up Ice Fishing, winters aren't long enough...[​IMG]

My chickens always have the option, in or out, year round.

8. lorrir

lorrir Songster

Jun 19, 2009
    Upstate SC
    I hang a bare light bulb right above the water can in the coop, one to keep the water from freezing and two to extend the winter daylight. This year I'm going to put it on a timer.[​IMG]

9. tykris99

tykris99 In the Brooder

Jun 13, 2008
    Harwinton
    Mine stay outside all winter in Northwest hills of Ct and we go get cold however I learned the hard way not to let them freerange at this time due to hungry animals. I have a large caged area they stay in with the coop inside and always accesible. no heat lamp and they survived fine

10. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Mine free range everyday, but they are afraid of snow. So on snowy days they like to stay inside and watch TV. [​IMG]

Imp

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: