When do your chickens wake up??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JanetS, Sep 17, 2012.

1. JanetS

JanetS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2012
    My chickens are up and laying eggs around 5:30 to 6:00 am every day. They come out of the coop into the run when it's still dark out. Sunrise is around 7am. I don't have any roosters. Just hens. Do your chickens do this?

2. Y N dottes

Y N dottes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    South Central WI
    I let mine out at 5:30am once(the earliest time yet), but they didnt come out right away.....it was still dark, and i dont think they came out till 6 which was when it started to get light
    I usually let them out at 7:00am on week days, and 6:30am on weekends, and by that time theyre awake and come out right away.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Mine come out as soon as they can see. I have automatic pop doors, so they usually come out as soon as those open. I went out this morning a little after 6AM and had several out already.

4. Red Barn Farms

Red Barn Farms ~Friendly Fowl~

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    Just about the same as others have said. I normally open the barn doors each morning around 6 am and already have a few early morning eggs to collect. They seem to all be finished laying around 11 am. My flock never venture outdoors until it's good day light though.

5. DrHoverbottom

DrHoverbottom Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2011
    For the past month or so my hens have started fussing at 6:17am...every. single. day.

6. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Is something bothering them? Snake? Rat? Cat?

7. clucky3255

clucky3255 Chillin' With My Peeps

I let mine out at a little after 7 am in the morning. i never have any eggs right them but they usually are finished laying at around noon time to dinner time.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  8. clucky3255

clucky3255 Chillin' With My Peeps

yes is something bothering htem? or are they all usually cranky and fussy?

9. JanetS

JanetS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2012
    No, I don't think anything is bothering them. I think they are just early risers. We did add on to the roost to give them more room just in case that was an issue. They also have a fan in the coop since it gets warm here in Florida. It possible they are hot and go out in the run to cool off. They do get light from a street light that shines into their coop and run. They are not in total darkness. I also leave their door open so they can come out into the secure run to their food and water. They were up this morning at 5:45 am singing their egg song. They are happy, healthy chicken that are a little on the hyper side. I don't think there is a problem but was just wondering if most chicken were up as early as mine.

Thanks for your replies.

10. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    It's probably the street light getting them up so early.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by