1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When Do Your Ducks Start Laying After Winter???

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mahsmaj, Feb 20, 2009.

1. mahsmaj

mahsmaj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Hannibal, Missouri
    My ducks still arent laying! I was going to hatch their eggs in early march.... but theres no eggs! I have 5 white pekin females and 1 white pekin male. The females were laying last year, but quit for the winter... What breeds do you have and when do they ussually start laying again?

2. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    Funny, I just posted the same question about Geese. I can tell you that I have 4 female ducks (1 of each Khaki Campbell, MagPie, Cayouga, Muscovey). I am getting one or two eggs per day right now. They started a couple of weeks ago.

3. mahsmaj

mahsmaj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Hannibal, Missouri
    That gives me hope! [​IMG]

4. foxonfire

foxonfire Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    My ducks are laying, they started last week.....I was sooo suprised!

I've got over a dozen in the bator now...checking for fertilty! of course the rest that I've got waiting are mighty tasty too! YUM![​IMG]

Hopefully I'll get another drake, providing the eggs are fertile....8 hens and 1 drake Swedish Blues

5. fowlmood

fowlmood Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2009
    northern Michigan
    My pekin had started laying in September and she continued all through the winter. I got 24 eggs from her in December. I did not have a light on either. I just assumed it was normal for her to keep producing and I was happy to get any eggs from my birds in winter. My other two ducks (mallard and runner) just started laying about a month ago. Good luck!!![​IMG]

6. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I have call ducks, and they start the first or second week of march.

7. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    my large fowl ducks just started four days ago. only one is laying so far. the calls haven't started yet.

c'mon duckies...let's get it in gear. [​IMG]

8. ro.netcmarie

ro.netcmarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2008
    travelers rest, sc
    I have 2 male pekins and 1 female pekin. She started laying eggs mid January. I have got a total of 6 eggs since. Put 5 eggs in the bator Feb. 3rd got 3 that are alive and moving around, the other 2 wasn't fertile. She just laid another egg about 3 days ag, and debating on wether to put it in the bator or wait till she lays a couple more. Hope she lays eggs for your very soon!!![​IMG]

9. xfilesnumber1fan

xfilesnumber1fan Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Missouri
    I have 1 crested,1 white layer and 2 mallards they have been laying all winter...

10. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    I just got my first post Christmas week snowstorm-vent slamming shut work stoppage egg today.

Life is sweet. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by