When do your girls lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kimntep, Apr 21, 2011.

1. kimntep

kimntep Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2010
    Ocala, Florida
    At first I was getting all eggs by 9 or 10 am..then I started going out twice a day at about 10 and 2 since I would find more in the early morning. Now it seems they lay off and on all day and night. Are they confused or am I?? [​IMG] Is this normal in the day and life of a hen?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  2. Cindilou

Cindilou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Largo, FL
    From what I understand, some hens can be on a schedule that does not necessarily conform to a 24 hour cycle. They may be on a 25 or 26 hour cycle laying an egg approximately an hour or two later each day and taking a day off or so after so many days. Yesterday I got 2 eggs around 10:00 then today I got them at about 12 and 2ish.

3. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Hours of Operation are from 6:00 AM - 5:00 PM - Monday - Friday and Holidays. [​IMG]

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

The ISA Browns I had laid like clockwork, every day, before 10 am.

The Black Sex Links were much more "whenever" and often took one day off in three.

Speckled Sussex were typically morning, but not consistently. They laid 4-5 eggs per week and basically took Dec-Feb off.

Bovan Browns, a production red, lay similar to ISAs, everyday, before 11 am.

5. marcumbackyardfarms

marcumbackyardfarms Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2011
    Russellville
    Quote:X 2 just seems to vary from sunup to sundown.

6. Justanother Brooke

Justanother Brooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2011
    Goldendale, WA
    I was just going to ask this, as my one pullet that finally laid her first egg sometime yesterday while I was at work is has been up and down off the nest and clucking a lot for the last hour or so, and it's after 4 p.m. here! I'm going to go check and see if she has done anything yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by