1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When do your girls...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kodiakchicken, Sep 30, 2008.

1. kodiakchicken

kodiakchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Kodiak, Alaska
    lay their eggs? Morning, noon or night?

Our ducks always lay at night except for the few leather shelled eggs we found, wo I was just assuming they always lay at night.

However, we got our first chicken eggs yesterday and they were both layed in the afternoon. Both of them went and hid out in the nest box for close to an hour but then ended up laying a few minutes after existing the coop (one right on the steps to the coop!). [​IMG]

Should I worry that they might get tired of laying in the nest box and just start laying in the woods where they free range?

2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    my welsummers like to lay as late as 6:30pm and my other birds lay between 11:00 Am to 4:00pm.

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Ours lay from 8:30 am to 5:00 pm. Keep in mind that their cycle is 24-25 hours apart, which means times will always change.

4. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    So far we've gotten all our eggs before 1:30pm.

5. kodiakchicken

kodiakchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Kodiak, Alaska
    Hmm, very interesting. Sounds like daytime laying is normal.

Hopefully they'll stick with the nesting boxes because I dread crawling through all the salmonberry bushes looking for eggs!

6. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

anywhere from 7 in the morning, to 7 at night,,,late as possible if i really want them earlier lol

7. punkin

punkin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    East Tennessee
    Mine usually lay between 10 am and 3 pm.

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Mine are all late evening layers. I posted about it. Found an egg at 7:30 tonight that wasn't there at 7.

9. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

I get my eggs between dawn and 10 am...usually. Maybe one in late afternoon from my oddball girl...

10. JeninMN

JeninMN Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Ours can be late layers...its weird...sometimes we have them by 3pm...most days we see new eggs after 7pm....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by