1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When do yours go in the coop at night?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jmeeter88, Oct 22, 2008.

1. jmeeter88

jmeeter88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    New Hartford, NY
    I free range my chickens, and am getting a tad worried here. It's 5:20PM, and starting to get dark. Sunset isn't until 6:10PM though. They seem to be just hanging around outside, one is even roosting on the motorcycle trailer.

Should I coax them inside now, or should I just let them go in when they feel like it?

2. bluebirdfarm

bluebirdfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

they will usually go in by themselves,if not i would def coax them in , mione usually go in around right befor dark , so it is a little early, wait a bit.

3. jacyjones

jacyjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    Mine go in at dusk on their own - I have never had to coax them in, they just seem to know.

4. jmeeter88

Aug 18, 2008
    New Hartford, NY
    Ok. I was a bit worried because they were all "bedding down" in some tall grass, and then I saw one hop on and roost on the trailer. But I think I am just being an overprotective father! We have had 2/2 success for them going in on their own, lol.

5. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    mine go in when they want to. it's usually before it gets really dark. they seem to have a good instinct as to how long it is safe to be out. i don't think you need to worry. [​IMG]

6. jmeeter88

Aug 18, 2008
    New Hartford, NY
    Tomorrow I am going to install some ring-shaped LED lights, and flip them on around 5:30. That way when the entire yard is dark, it's like "Hey!!! There's a light over there!!" and then I'll shut it off around 7:30PM...

7. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    that's a neat idea! cool! [​IMG]

8. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Mine are very orderly chickens. They go in at dusk with very little fight. My buffer is the last in. Here's the kicker - then the babies come out to play until dark. It is funny to see this changing of guard every night.

9. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    I always put mine up at 5-5:30 in the fall because it starts to get dark here at about 6. If I let them go in on their own they wait until just a few minutes before total darkness to go in.

10. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    no idea, they put themselves in most nights. Granted they are in a run. So they cant get far. But most nights I go out there after dark and they are already in the coop, on the roost and I dont hear a peep or a cluck from them.

I did just come in at 5:45 from having to put them in for the night. No idea

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by