When does a chick start showing he is a rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by doitright, Mar 3, 2015.

1. doitright

doitright Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2014
    WEST TEXAS
    can someone tell me about three Rhode Island reds how I can tell if there is a rooster (we need a rooster!).

They are about 4 months old and wondered if someone can tell me if we have a rooster. they all three have deeper voices than our other hens but not all can be a rooster. HELP![​IMG]

2. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Posting pictures would help. But at 4 months old any cockerels should be obvious. Larger, redder combs and wattles that probably started showing color at least a month ago. There should be saddle feathers showing by now too. Crowing or attempted crowing is also a giveaway.

3. doitright

doitright Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2014
    WEST TEXAS
    I an replying to myself because I did not write what I intended! These chickens are about 4 mos.old, and they seem like a different kind of chicken. They have a deep voice and they seem to fight our hens more. I want to have a rooster for our setters for they have set so many long long times and now have quit.
    I also have a precious small buff and all the chickens pick on her so we let her in here and she will lay an egg for us and she eats a "boiled egg"[​IMG]! she then goes out in our yard instead of staying with them. it is sad to me and wish I had a refuge to take her to. I gave her crumbled egg for more protiens so maybe she would grow more but she is little.

we have a wonderful set up where nothing can get into their home until we open it up and we close them up each night with food and water. We hear them real well when they want out for our large window backs up to their house! haha.

well, now you get a picture of my troubles except I have a precious bishon/shih Tzu who I just realized has diabetes and I can not afford to go to these vets. They only think of money and I soon lost one baby because of incompetence and it was all my money and she died over the week end. I live in West TX and it is horrible for any vets. I would appreciate your prayers for there is a med (herbal) dia-ionx that was guaranteed. I am praying this will work. anyway I am talking wrong. sorry.

My Name is Margie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by