When does a chicken start laying and how can you tell when she's starting

foLk

In the Brooder
Sep 7, 2021
Hi first time owner, I have a female I believe to be about ten weeks old my question is when will she start laying?

Mine usually start between 5 and 6 months old, but can take a bit longer. Their combs and wattles will start to develop more and turn red. They might squat when you approach them (my newest layer did this big time which is weird because the vast majority of my girls don’t ever do this with me (maybe because I handle them so much they‘re used to me)). Also, they may start ‘chickenwauling’ - the more drawn out, dramatic whiny/complaining noise they make when they need to lay an egg (this is different from the ‘egg song’. It’s more of a fa-fa-fa-faaaaaaaaaaa-fafafafa-faaafaaa! :clap). Finally, they’ll start checking out the nesting boxes more. Hope this helps!

Hi first time owner, I have a female I believe to be about ten weeks old my question is when will she start laying?
Most egg laying and dual purpose chickens I've had started to lay between 4 and 5 months old.
Exceptions were 2 of 5 Golden Comets started before 17 weeks and 3 of 7 Barred Rocks and 1 of 5 ISA Browns started after 22 weeks, but before 24 weeks.

I currently have 8 Pullets 4 months old today.
2 of 4 Rhode Island Reds have prominent red combs and wattles.
None of the 4 Barred Rocks have prominent combs, wattles.
My previous flock of Barred Rocks didn't start laying till 20 weeks old.
I've never had RIR before but have read they can start laying around 18 weeks.
20210905_100244_resized.jpg

Some breeds/types can take longer to lay, like Jersey Giants/Easter Eggers can take 5 to 7 months.
Time of year and feeding (treats) can delay onset of lay.
GC

Depending on the breed, anywhere from about 19 weeks to 8-9 months, what is she? Do you only have one?
Im totally not sure what she is, they said in another thread she was mix, I found her and her mother and brother abandoned and all beat up, then nursed them back to health and then unfortunately the mother passed away, I'm a first time chicken owner and I'm like really new to this, the other day she was making like noises I can only describe as an r2d2 scream so I was wondering what was going on, but from what I've read here I think it's still too early

Back
Top Bottom