When does a cockerel crow?

Ole rooster

Songster
8 Years
Jun 25, 2011
Milner, Georgia
I've many post as to when does the cockerel crow. I have two from the same hatch from same the daddy. Both are right at 14 months .Hatched Dec 21st. Both know their function, at least try to show they do, but one has been crowing a week and the other one has not made a sound. So I would say it is just the individual bird and not an age thing. Now the one crowing does sound like he has a terrible case of laryngitis, but I know he calls it crowing.
smile.png

Laryngitis! soooo funny.

I have a little cream legbar cockerel that started his "practice" crowing at 2-months. It did sound like Laryngitis. I never knew that they could begin that young. I think he may be answering the rooster in a different coop and run on the other side of the house. He was so squeeky at first I thought that the two in that coop/run were squabbling---but it is definitely him crowing. He is getting better and better. It is totally a crow now-- He'll be 3-months April 9th.

sooo I think that your idea that it depends on the individual -- and fireTigeris that it is partly the circumstances (another rooster in the same pen) -- is spot on.

I have a 20 week old Brahma that I think tried to crow once. He's just so laid back that I think he doesn't feel the need. He's mounting the hens and getting quite good at it and they let him. Maybe the hens like the shy quiet ones lol.

I have a 20 week old Brahma that I think tried to crow once. He's just so laid back that I think he doesn't feel the need. He's mounting the hens and getting quite good at it and they let him. Maybe the hens like the shy quiet ones lol.

There are many folks who would like to have a silent rooster..... :O) You may be on to something there....

I couldn't believe it this morning but the other cockerel in the coop with all the other chickens tried to crow. It was pitiful. I told he best just shut up and don't embarrass himself. The other cockerel is in a pen by himself. But their time is limited. I have eggs in the incubator due April 4. If they hatch and the cockerels are still here, off comes their heads. They have to go.

Quote:

My Cream Legbars are from the same Green Fire Farm Hatch as yours (1/9/12). I will have to start cheching on my cockerels. They are in a hutch outside my window so I am pretty sure they aren't crowing yet. My Marans start crowing between 3-4 months. The largest most dominate of the group is ussually the first to start.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom