when does a PEEP become a BOK?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lauriruth, Oct 20, 2009.

1. lauriruth

lauriruth Chillin' With My Peeps

i have 4 (8 weeks old) "pullets" from MPC. when do they Bok? one each: RIR, BO, SLW, Black Star. Haven't heard a crow yet. they change so much every week! I fluctuate between thinking some are roos and thinking they're all hens![​IMG]

2. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    They will sort of cluck in the next few weeks. The crows can come as late as 18 weeks for the roos. The pullets won't truly 'bok' until they are near laying, and that can be as late as 26 weeks or more- but usually isn't. I DO have 3 EEs that aren't laying yet at 24 weeks...but sometimes EEs are really late. They make deeper cluck noises but don't ba-gawk.

3. musson

musson Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2009
    Hillsborough NC
    I have 4 12 week old pullets that occasionally make a bok noise. I think in another 4-6 weeks they will be making adult noises. I also have an adult RIR who honks [​IMG]

4. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    This is a funny topic. I think a PEEP becomes a BOK when the chick scares itself because the noise coming out of it is unfamiliar! Mine would all freeze for a moment when they first started "bok'ing"...what was that sound?!

5. Nyrial

Nyrial Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Lake Stevens, WA
    Lol, my oldest are (supposedly, I think they're a bit older) around 11-12 weeks and they're distinctively clucking now, the transition period made me giggle.

Then I have my younger ones that are 9 weeks, and they still.. for the most part, peep, but I heard some new voices yesterday when I was feeding them.

I think the garbled peep/bok was the funniest thing I'd heard in a long time.

6. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

mine all took like 16 weeks. They looked like chickens, but sounded like chicks. very odd.

7. Amethyste

Amethyste For Love of Boo...

My baby girls are 13 weeks old now and look like grownup chickens! Just a bit scrawnier and littler lol They still need to fill out some [​IMG]

However they have recently started the "Pee-uck" noises, as they start to cluck a little more all the time. They are stil babies tho... peeping not as much, and their voices sound cracky lol

8. silkiechick05

silkiechick05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    North Texas
    aww the little babies haven't hit puberty yet

[​IMG]

9. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 Chicken Obsessed

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    probably when they get a bit older/close to laying age and yes this is a funny post lol chicken puberty and the half peep half cluck noises and stuff haha funny, lol [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. PeeperKeeper

PeeperKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Usually when you're not looking! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by