When does a Roo reach puberty??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by froggiesheins, Nov 28, 2010.

1. froggiesheins

froggiesheins Overrun With Chickens

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    I know it is the wrong word, but could not think of a better one. BUT, I am curious, at what age does a rooster start eyeballing the girls and want to have a good time with them?? (hee hee) gotta keep it clean here...

2. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    It depends on the roo, some earlier, some later

3. froggiesheins

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    but - but earlier or later than what please???

4. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I guess it depends on how you define "puberty" as some roos start crowing while in the brooder! [​IMG]

But you mean mounting/breeding type behavior, and I had one roo start pretty early at 8-9ish weeks. He was always an early bloomer with a big comb really early and such. He was also the first to get the axe because he was driving the pullets absolutely MAD! Most all of them are well up to speed by 4 months.
    The girls usually aren't very receptive till around 20+ weeks, but that doesn't stop the boys from trying. Some roos aren't very good at it for several more months though, trying to mate the wrong end and other goofy problems you will hear on here.

5. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

6. froggiesheins

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    Thank you for your MOST informative response! I have a mutt roo that is about 2 1/2 months old and was curious when he will become of age. Right now he is silly/goofy and has not made any noise yet. I am hoping that I will be able to keep him so I needed that time frame. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by