When does a rooster become fertile?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by twunker, Sep 20, 2012.

Free Range or confined

Poll closed Sep 20, 2012.
  1. Free range

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Confined

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. twunker

twunker Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2012
    When does a rooster become fertile and start mating?

2. Habibs Hens

Habibs Hens Cream Legbar Keeper

Mar 31, 2012
    London, UK
    My Coop
    one of mine is 15 weeks and i just cought him trying to mate

mine usually start at around that time and teh eggs are very very fertile as my fertility rate was 100%

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    It depends on the breed and the time it takes the roo to mature. I had a RIR X mate with one of my hens when he was around 5-6 months old. She went broody and none of her eggs were fertile. She hatched 3 doz of her own eggs before that with no problems. He's since been practising daily and he fathered lots of chicks.

4. Frizzle13

Frizzle13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2012
    My new frizzle roo is around 15 weeks and is producing 75% fertile eggsat the mo. I think It depends on the breed and bird.

5. Aschenfire

Aschenfire Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    I have Seramas and one of my little almost-12 week old cockerels is in a cage with a little pullet of the same age. He most definitely is trying, and he is in love with that girl. He talks to her, feeds her, worries if I take her out of the cage. Gah. Maybe putting them together already was a bad idea. He has a show to go to in January...I was not planning on taking her, but I might have to, to keep either of them from fretting too much.

6. CAjerseychick

CAjerseychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2012
    Northern California!
    I think it does depend on the breed/ bird...my Jersey Giant boy has been in with pullets all his life(2 are his sisters, the other 13 are 1 month younger) and he is 14 weeks and has not started crowing or trying anything with the girls...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by