1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

when does a rooster cockadoodledoo?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rocknrod428, May 19, 2009.

1. rocknrod428

rocknrod428 Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2009
    The title says it all. I have 4 roosters that are 7 weeks old and cant wait to here some noise.

2. wyliefarms

wyliefarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Fowlerville,MI
    When they start they will/can crow 24/7.

Enjoy!

Our vary on when they start crowing. By 16 weeks or so for sure.

3. Big Chicken Little

Big Chicken Little Chillin' With My Peeps

when does a rooster cockadoodledoo?

When ever he wants LOL Some start early and it is funny to hear them practice off key

4. Redhead Hen

Redhead Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Rising Sun, Maryland
    I think it depends on each individual. I had 2 RIR roos and it took them a year to crow! I had purchased them as chicks one spring and they crowed the following spring! Talk about late bloomers! [​IMG]

It was funny when I first heard them too. They did not sound like a "real" rooster! It was kinda strange sounding and caught me off guard. I was like "What was that? Is that the Roos trying to crow?"[​IMG]

5. my1stchicks

my1stchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    North FL
    I heard my little 4 wk old Serama crow for the first time last light, talk about funny [​IMG]

6. SproutGirl

SproutGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Missoula, Montana
    All day. Oh yeah, and all night, too. They crow. And they crow. Oh, yeah, and then they crow again.

They crow when they hear noises. They crow when they find food. They crow when they finish mounting a hen. They crow if they see a car's headlights go by at night. They crow because they think they are top-king-cock-of-flock. They crow when you come into the yard. They crow when you leave the yard. They crow when you have visitors. They crow when they are happy. And then they crow again.

7. NJbirdlover

NJbirdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Salem County, NJ
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by