when does broody take chicks out of nest?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ducksarecool12, Jun 15, 2011.

1. ducksarecool12

ducksarecool12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2010
    oklahoma
    My broodys chicks are hatching!!! now what... i have a small coop so i fenced of one of my nesting boxes all the way across the coop about 2'x4' when will she bring them out of the nest to feed them and does she take them back to the nest at night and sitt on them? should i take the fence that seperates her and her chicks from the other two chickens i have down? should i block off a area in the run so the broody and her chicks can come out? please answer im desperate!

2. K8tieCat

K8tieCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Northern California
    It has been my experience to never take mom and babies out of the nest. While I have not incubated eggs, only put new chicks under a broody hen, I made sure mom was moved to a nest on the floor so that the babies wouldn't fall out. She knows what to do and will protect her babies from other chickens. She will also teach them how to eat, scratch, and anything else they need to know.

[​IMG]

3. ducksarecool12

ducksarecool12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2010
    oklahoma
    bump

4. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

My broody hen took her babies out of the nest and started foraging at 3-4 days after initial hatch. They hatched last Monday and Tuesday & she had them out of the coop on Friday.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by