When does egg color normalize?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by phoenixrises, Sep 30, 2013.

1. phoenixrises

phoenixrises Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2013
    I got 2 jersey giants literally days before they started laying about 4 weeks ago. While their eggs are a normal size (though a bit small compared to my 2 EE) the color is off. They are faded from dark brown to almost white. I realize this is related to the speed at which the egg moves down the ovum, but I'm wondering if this will get better with time, or if I have 2 layers who have color issues. I'm not planning to breed these two because they are hatchery stock but I'd like to know if/when this bad coloring might go away.

2. Araucana16

Araucana16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Well the reason for this may be because when a hen starts laying, she has a certain amount of egg paint. And they get a new one every time they molt or go through an egg cycle.

It could be because they are new layers, they slathered it on and then started running low. Hopefully once they are older their bodies will stop trying to turn the first few black [​IMG]

3. phoenixrises

phoenixrises Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2013
    I'm sorry I wasn't clear, it's on a single egg. One end is almost Maran dark and the other end is white!

4. Araucana16

Araucana16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Oh! I got it. This is actually a pretty common thing. What happened is that your hen (s) actually started producing two eggs that fused together and therefore one end got double the paint. I will look for the article I read on it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by