when does egg laying resume?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by magentamomma, Nov 11, 2009.

1. magentamomma

magentamomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2009
    Fayetteville
    my hens have basically stopped laying. I was getting 16 eggs a day, then a dog killed 6 hens and production dropped to 9 a day. i added new chickens and production dropped again to 3-4 eggs/day. Now i assume day length is playing a part and maybe stress, and there are alot of feathers fling around, so probably molting. my question is.... How long approximately does molting take and when do hens start laying again for the new season? Is it triggered by the solstice day length increasing or is it later, in true spring?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    How much space do your 39 chickens have?

If they have plenty of space it usually takes 2-3 weeks after adding or subracting chickens for them to get back into a groove, that and light usually will help some too. If they are getting over a molt, that can also take a few more weeks.

3. magentamomma

magentamomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2009
    Fayetteville
    about half of these are babies only 8 weeks old. They have a good size enclosure. Not seemingly crowded. What time of year do chickens resume laying?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by