When does meat bird season end?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by MyFirstFarm, Jun 10, 2011.

1. MyFirstFarm

MyFirstFarm Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2010
    At what point in the season (outside temps, I guess?) does it become not possible to raise meaties (outside in tractors)?

I guess the same question applies to when in the year you can start raising them?

Would like to get a rough idea of how many weeks there are available in the season. TIA!

2. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Where are you -- it depends on your climate - can be almost year round in the right place, such as parts of CA, to just a few months in the colder climates.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  3. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    It depends.

In Washington State, west side, we can grow them year round. Seldom do we hit 90's, and very seldom do we hit 100's. Humidity is low here, 40-50%.

The answer would matter based on where you are. Alabama would have a different answer than Vancouver BC Canada.

Where abouts are you located?

4. Sundown_Farmer

Sundown_Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Non-Chicago, Illinois
    Near St. Louis we get our first chicks the first week of March. This year we will process our last batch the third week of October. Last year we processed in November. Birds were fine, we were cold.

5. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Where I am at in Oklahoma it is safe to start in March and go through early May, then a fall crop starting in Sept going up to December. Free ranging in tractors is out of the question for the most part because grass won't grow on this stuff we call soil.

6. Mrs. Mucket

Mrs. Mucket Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Washington State, east side, we can usually go from May through October with colored broilers (I start chicks in the barn in April to get a head start). The July/August heat can be a bit much for CX.

7. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    when you can't take the smell anymore! [​IMG]

8. MyFirstFarm

MyFirstFarm Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2010
    Thanks everyone! We're near Victoria, BC on Vancouver Island. Looks like we'll be able to do 2 or 3 batches then before the weather gets too cold (or in our case, too wet!)

9. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    We are able to raise them all winter but we have to stop in the summer. It just gets too hot. So our season is about 9 or 10 months.

10. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Here in Ohio, the first half of the season will end in 2 weeks for me. It just gets too hot raise them in the Summer. I start getting chicks again in August, and butcher the last batch in late October/early November. The batches I do in the Fall are always bigger due to the cooler temps. Last year a week after the last batch was gone, we got a bunch of snow and wind. Perfect timing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by