1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

when does peeping change to clucking?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sheeshshe, May 10, 2009.

1. sheeshshe

sheeshshe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    about hold old till the cute peeping turns to regular chicken noise?

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I don't really pay close attention to when the actual sound changes occur, however I do know as they get closer to laying age, the pullets get more clucky sounds instead of peeping. I have some around 14 weeks making the more clucky sounds now.

3. sheeshshe

sheeshshe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    awww. cute [​IMG] so its like teenagers, when those hormones start raging and they start getting all reproductive like their voice changes [​IMG] LOL! [​IMG]

4. sherrydeanne

sherrydeanne Chillin' With My Peeps

My older (9 weekish) just don't make much noise. The incessant talking just stops, for me. When they do 'talk' it's more of a cluck.

5. MIChicken

MIChicken Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2009
    Southeast Michigan
    I was wondering about this too! I have two pullets that were supposed to be the same age (6 weeks) but one is much bigger and is much quieter. The smaller one peeps incessantly and very loudly.

Also, is there a difference between male and female sounds at this age?

6. highcountrychickens

highcountrychickens Head Rooster Jouster

Aug 28, 2008
    Jackson Hole
    We have a sweet joke about this... Our Jersey Giants are about 11 weeks old, and have gone from Peep Peep to Yup Yup... one clucked when I picked her up yesterday and surprised herself.

Personally, I love the YupYup stage...

7. highcountrychickens

highcountrychickens Head Rooster Jouster

Aug 28, 2008
    Jackson Hole
    Quote:If you have a rooster, one of the all time funniest things in the whole chicken-raising experience is when they first start to crow... ours sound like someone jumped on a whoopee cushion. It just SLAYs me. [​IMG] Otherwise, no, they're really all quite the same.

8. mrsgibber

mrsgibber Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    Bolton, CT
    Mine started making "chicken" noises, clucking, bawking, and cooing at about 9 or 10 weeks. I love listening to them.

9. MIChicken

MIChicken Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2009
    Southeast Michigan
    I think it would be cool if one of them was a rooster. Call me crazy but I've always wanted to wake up to the sound of crowing in the morning. I'm sure my neighbors would not think it would be as charming as I would.
    As there are currently no chicken ordinances, I'm sure it wouldn't be long before some would be drafted if I did have a rooster.[​IMG][​IMG]

10. CANDLE98

CANDLE98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Meridian Idaho
    my chickens don't really cluck, they kinda growl at me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by