when does the breed become YOUR line?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by dinahmoe, May 7, 2011.

1. dinahmoe

dinahmoe Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
    i want to give credit where credit is due but just wondering when the chickens that we raise and hatch become OUR birds.so many people want to know where "your stock came from",which is fair but at some point shouldn't the person that has fed and taken care of their birds get credit.i am thinking that after an F2 hatch and the offspring are quality ,then they should be considered YOURS.

just wondering what others think about it.

2. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    I would say 4 - 5 years, maybe. f2 is still close to the original breeders line (like you said, give credit where it is due), so I think you have to do some more work to call it YOUR own. IMHO

Last edited: May 7, 2011
  3. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    Quote:I agree. 5 years minimum.

4. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    Quote:It might be different if you crossed lines, too

5. dinahmoe

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
    Quote:ok good.yes,i want to give credit where credit is due,after all this is hard work.
    i think that would work if you had a closed breeding pen but
    what if you have mixed lines in your pens?if the offsprings are crappy you wouldn't want to give a top breeder a bad name.does that make sense.

6. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    As soon as your breed them, the offspring are yours. The parent stock would be from the original breeders' line.

7. dinahmoe

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
    pips&peeps :

As soon as your breed them, the offspring are yours. The parent stock would be from the original breeders' line.

so when selling, is it enough to say where the F1s came from even though you are selling F4s.​

8. dutchhollow

dutchhollow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2008
    SW IA
    When you can sell them as using you name and now one cares where they came from before that:D

9. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    pips&peeps :

Yes, your line of the breeder's strain.
    Quote:​

10. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I used the breeders name only when I didn't add different blood, once you introduce different lines you really can't say they are so and so's line....jmo

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by