When does the count start?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Whistling Badger, May 30, 2008.

1. Whistling Badger

Whistling Badger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    a burrow in a pasture
    Our eggs are supposed to be here today. I know the eggs usually hatch in 20-25 days. Does that start from the day they're laid, or the day they go in the incubator? I hope it's the latter, because I don't know when they were laid!

Thanks!
    Tom

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

It's from the day you put them in the incubator. If you put them in before noon, that day counts as day number one. If you put them in after noon the next day is day one.

Last edited: May 30, 2008
  3. seriousbill

seriousbill Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Ohio
    Hi Tom. The count starts once you put them in the bator. What kind of eggs are they? Chicken eggs usually take 21 days to hatch. Turkeys take 28. Ducks usually also take 28, except Muscovies, which take around 33-35.

Here's a web page that may help:

http://www.msstate.edu/dept/poultry/avianemb.htm

4. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    I do it by the hour. If I put them in at 1pm, I take them off the turner on day 18 at 1pm.

5. seriousbill

seriousbill Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Ohio
    Yep, me too, coffeegirl. And my understanding is that's the way the poultry science folks do it too, by the minute. That way, Day 1 is the 24-hour period from the minute you put them in there until the same minute the next day. Gotta put those eggs on egg time, not people time [​IMG]

But seriously, it doesn't matter much if you count the first day as zero and the next day as one like a lot of folks on BYC do. It works okay, but I'm a stickler for precision.

6. Whistling Badger

May 26, 2008
    a burrow in a pasture
    Well, that's good news! Thanks
    T

7. Eggseronious

Eggseronious Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2008
    East Tennessee
    The time U put the eggs in the incubator is 0 day tomorrow at the same time is day 1, and so on. [​IMG]

8. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    Quote:I thought to do the same thing when I put mine in on the 19th. Day 11 [​IMG] 10 to go [​IMG] and I just put 6 more in on the 29th. Day 1 for them. 20 more to go [​IMG]

Remind me agin why I am doing this.

9. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

You do it thechickcrew because you love [​IMG] [​IMG] chicks [​IMG]

10. Whistling Badger

May 26, 2008
    a burrow in a pasture
    So I'm new at this, but let me guess...it's going to be a really long 21 days, right?

BTW, am I supposed to candle them to see if they're fertile?

T

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by