When does this happen?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by vortec, Mar 29, 2009.

1. vortec

vortec Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2009
    Martin County, NC
    When do roos begin to fertilize the hens and when do hens start to become broody? In terms of weeks. Thanks

vortec

2. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, what type of rooster and hen. Some hens never go broody, I have the breeds that should...and don't.
    If its a Cochin like your avitar, I believe you need to clip their pants so they can make contact.
    Lets hope you get a better answer then what I've given you as I have a rooster that has been taking care of business even tho the eggs show contact, I get no live embryo's, with 2 bantam Cochins.
    Good luck

3. vortec

Jan 29, 2009
    Martin County, NC
    Quote:Thanks! I have barred rock hen/roos, giant hen/roos, buff orp hen/roos, australorp hens/roos, leghorn hens, EE hens, light brahma roos, rhode island red hen/roos. I do not want any hatchlings is why I ask, and I am hoping that the roos will be butchering size before they fertilize the hens that will go broody

vortec

4. JessaLynn

JessaLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2008
    Sandusky County,Ohio
    I would just make sure you collect the eggs everyday and if you don't want any fertilized eggs at all, seperate the roo and hens.Most of my roos were about 6-8 months old when they matured.

5. vortec

Jan 29, 2009
    Martin County, NC
    We are planning on culling all of the roos after they reach maturity. Will hens still go broody without roos in the picture?

vortec

6. PeeperKeeper

PeeperKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

If it is their nature to go broody, they will any way. Do a search on "broody management" here on BYC. Most BYCers suggest you just keep throwing them out of the nest until they get the message. Of course they go through a hormonal shift and it will day several days to break their broody fever. Or just get some fertile eggs and slip them under the broody and hatch out some new chicks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by