When electricity black out...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by anchutka, Jun 15, 2011.

1. anchutka

anchutka Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2011
    Kansas city
    Im hatching eggs and In my area we have black outs very often. I'm not at home during the day time and don't know what is going on there. If black out happens when I'm not at home eggs will die.. Any ideas how to protect eggs from this?

2. Ventura974

Ventura974 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2011
    New England
    Well we lost power last week cause of a storm and I had eggs in my incubator too. I can see your concern, I used tea light candles in my incubator to maintain the temp. The temp stayed around 95 degrees the only thing is that the humidity was pretty high around 76% I candled the eggs after the power came back and they seemed ok. I also candled them again a week later and they were ok all 12 eggs. Heading for lock down tomorrow hope they all hatch. I could swear I saw some of them moving today I am so excited. Good luck hope this helps.

3. Ceinwyn

Ceinwyn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Southeast Ohio
    You can use sealed baby jars or pint jars as heat sinks.
    Just make sure you preheat the water inside to 100 degrees and that the tops are on tight.
    The jars will slowly release their held heat if you loose power.
    Hope that helps and fingers crossed you dont have to any power outages.

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Last winter on our coldest night we lost power. I was around 2 weeks into incubation. The power had been off for a couple of hours when I discovered the power off, my incubator temp was 78 degrees. Luckily I had a battery pack and an inverter. I plugged the incubator into it and got the temp back up. After a couple of more hrs the power came back on. I candled the eggs and saw movement. I still had a good hatch. I don't know how long the power outages last in your area when it does go out. But if it isn't that long then I think you will be ok. A broody can leave the nest for up to around 45 minutes.

5. anchutka

anchutka Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2011
    Kansas city
    Thanks to you all for respond! But my consern is about how to keep incubator running if power lost when I'm not at home? Last time we lost power for 4 hours and luckily it was weekend and I was at home and was running my car as a generator. Is it any back up battery will run up to 4 hours, but for reasonable price? Or some kind a generator which automatically will turned on when power is down? I'm just in panic when I thinking about this

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    You can buy generators that will go on if the power goes off but I think they are pretty costly. It depends on what size generator you get. A 7kw automatic start-up generator are around $2000.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by