When free ranging, do you chickens ever try to get in your house?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Bacongirl27, May 19, 2010.

1. Bacongirl27

Bacongirl27 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2010
    Arizona
    I have been letting my chickens free-range all day long and it seems like they always find their way to my sliding glass door and just hang out around it! Does any one have this happen to you? If I continue to have them hang out there will they try to get in the house if we open the door? It cracks me up at how curious they are!
    [​IMG]

2. newchicksnducks

newchicksnducks Chillin' With My Peeps

I've not had them get inside yet, but friends of mine had a dog that somehow opened the door, allowing himself to go outside and roll in the mud before coming back inside with a few feathered friends! Glad I wasn't in charge of clean up!! [​IMG]

3. apdan

apdan Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Thats hilarious! Mine are free range and I have had one jump in my truck and then they follow me up the steps onto the porch. My neice and nephew (4 and 6) were sitting on the porch once with a cool whip dish of feed and the next thing I know they are screaming and they are surrounded by chickens on the porch! [​IMG]

4. inkypinky

inkypinky Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2010
    Auburndale
    thats funny!! my Rocks who were from TCS and inside(a huge fish tank actually) untill 8 weeks old not only follow me around- under my feet- while feeding everybody else in the AM- but they will walk right in the house with me like its their place! they all "hang out" on my front porch now ...probably hoping i come home with pizza. In case my neighbors didnt think we were weird before.....[​IMG]

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Quote:Oh yeah...I just did a good porch scrub yesterday, and it's already got more poop stains on it [​IMG] They'll roost on our wooden porch bench, and gather together on the thick porch door mat...lol.

6. apdan

apdan Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Michigan
    OHHH and I thought I was the only one whose neighbors think they are CRAZY! We have two goats that will run in and out of the house!!!whenever my neighbors grandkids are up for the weekend they always walk down to see everyone!

7. kilkieran

kilkieran Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2010
    Spencer, MA
    When we first got chickens we used to leave their coop door open 24/7 (we don't anymore). They would be right there waiting for us in the morning at our sliding glass doors waiting for breakfast. Scared the hell out of me a couple times.

8. Wokawidget

Wokawidget Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2009
    All the darn time!!!
    They were raised from a few weeks old indoors...so my house is coup no. 1 to them.
    If I leave the door open, even for 5 mins, they are all inside...lead by the ring leader...my naughty Campbell duck.

On an evening they want to come in and if they get the chance always head for the end of the sofa..."their spot" when they were little.

They are all lap chickens and love the attention.

They don't make too much mess...unlike the duck!

Woka

9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I started letting mine free range when I am home, about 3 weeks ago. They wandered everywhere in my large back yard, found their favorite scratching places, best bug-hunting spots, and the back porch. That's where the Treat Lady comes from, so let's hang out here hoping she'll come out soon with more treats.

The rooster peers in through the screen, and he's crowed there a couple of times. The girls have scratched away ALL of the leaves and sprouts and stuff on the stoop between the door and the porch (it's not quite attached to the house). They really like to get down on the ground between the house and the porch - it's about an 18, 20 inch gap - and it's always cool there.

I suspect, if I leave the screen door open, I might have a chicken come inside soon.

10. Bacongirl27

Bacongirl27 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2010
    Arizona
    All of the stories are so funny! Yeah, my rooster keeps crowing, I guess I did not think that they want me to bring out snacks! How funny are the stories about the chickens on the porch! lol! Since sometimes your chickens are in the house, have you ever thought about or seen those chicken diapers? When I saw those, I started cracking up! I never thought chickens would be so personal and fun! Thanks for sharing your stories![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by