When getting baby chicks from a hatchery

Izzy_dizzy7

Hatching
Mar 11, 2022
Hello! So I work at a small feed store that has baby chicks. Sometimes when we get the chicks from the hatchery through the mail, the chicks are very weak. What’s the best thing I can do for them? I tend to see that before a chick dies it will like open its mouth but not make a noise and stretch out its neck. Does anyone know why? Any tips? Any help is appreciated!

Step one. As you unpack chicks from the new shipment, dip each beak in water so they know to drink. If the chicks are active and moving freely, it's easy to spot a chick in trouble. You will see the chick standing still with its beak in the air, gaping it as you described. Or a chick will be standing still but wobbly, with eyes perhaps partially closed.

Step two. Have warm sugar water with a few drops of Poultry Nutri-drench ready to treat sick chicks. You can try to dip their beaks into the sugar water and try to get them to drink. If they won't drink, you need to syringe the water into the beak, going in on the chick's right side and just under the tongue to avoid the airway in the center of the throat.

Step three. Keep the entire shipment off the display floor until the next morning, retaining any chicks that are still not 100% for further chick aid.

The last post by @azygous had great advice. One additional comment, I don’t know what extra you are allowed to do to help, but raw egg yolk is really good at giving baby chicks energy if they are exceptionally weak. They would probably need to have their beak dipped individually a few times.

If any of the chicks end up with caked-on poo on their behinds, that is called pasty butt and is easily remedied but is deadly if not taken care of.

Step one. As you unpack chicks from the new shipment, dip each beak in water so they know to drink. If the chicks are active and moving freely, it's easy to spot a chick in trouble. You will see the chick standing still with its beak in the air, gaping it as you described. Or a chick will be standing still but wobbly, with eyes perhaps partially closed.

Step two. Have warm sugar water with a few drops of Poultry Nutri-drench ready to treat sick chicks. You can try to dip their beaks into the sugar water and try to get them to drink. If they won't drink, you need to syringe the water into the beak, going in on the chick's right side and just under the tongue to avoid the airway in the center of the throat.

Step three. Keep the entire shipment off the display floor until the next morning, retaining any chicks that are still not 100% for further chick aid.
Thank you so much! Very helpful!

Back
Top Bottom