When going on vacation

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by rdpricejr, May 23, 2018.

Tags:
  1. rdpricejr

rdpricejr In the Brooder

May 23, 2018
    How do you manage your chickens' care when you are away from home for several days?

2. Chicks 'n ducks

Chicks 'n ducks Songster

Jan 23, 2018
    Northern Colorado
    Stock up on water/food, clean coop, make sure everyone is healthy and the coop/run is secure. Than you can probably leave for the weekend. longer than that, get a chicken babysitter.

3. HuskerHens18

HuskerHens18 Songster

I triple the feeders and waterers and pay a friend or family member to watch over and distribute food and water as needed. It's the only way to be safe.
    If I'm gone for 1-2 days I'll just have someone on call just in case I won't be back on time.

4. Ursuline Chick

Ursuline Chick Free Ranging

Jul 21, 2017
    We have a neighbor who is glad to help and they get to keep the eggs while we are gone. Just make sure everything is clean and ready for them to just have to feed, water and let the chickens in and out of the coop as needed per your schedule. I have also paid my niece to do this for me. Both have worked well. We also help out with the neighbor's pets when they are away.

5. KHBaker

KHBaker Chirping

Mar 21, 2018
    Tennessee
    We just left our chickens for a weekend, and hired someone to stay at the house. Since we also have a dog and a few other house pets, it was easier to have someone that could let them out, supervise free ranging, and keep everyone fed and watered. This month has been hot too, so I felt better leaving know that someone was checking on their water consistently.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by