When going out of town

Ourgosling22

Songster
Mar 20, 2022
Central texas
Hi, everyone-we are going out of town for our son’s cg graduation for 2 days and I don’t have anyone to look after my waterfowl. My neighbor usually helps out but he is older and can’t do a whole lot. He could do a visual check on them no problem. My husband is funny about letting someone who we don’t really know onto our property. I am particular as well but want my flock to be okay. (6 ducks and 3 geese) I know this sounds pathetic but I don’t have any friends I could call on. The coop is rather small but would they be ok for a couple of days cooped up? How would you do the water and food?
Please don’t hate on me.
Any suggestions?

2 days shouldn't be bad, if I leave on a 1-2 day trip I don't have someone watch my ducks. Do you have a bucket waterer or something similar that could last awhile? Same with feed, you could pull together something quick and easy for a refillable feeder (i.e, a tote with holes in the sides) I wouldn't recommend this for longer than a few days but it can help in a pinch. How big is your coop, though? Do they have a run you could give them access to while you're gone?

2 days shouldn't be bad, if I leave on a 1-2 day trip I don't have someone watch my ducks. Do you have a bucket waterer or something similar that could last awhile? Same with feed, you could pull together something quick and easy for a refillable feeder (i.e, a tote with holes in the sides) I wouldn't recommend this for longer than a few days but it can help in a pinch. How big is your coop, though? Do they have a run you could give them access to while you're gone?
I do have a run but that requires someone having to put them up in late afternoon.
The coop is a little over 8 feet by 8 1/2 feet. It’s divided in the middle. One side is for my 2 young geese.

Ok I’m not real comfortable leaving them cooped up(sorry for pun) but I really don’t have any other options. Trying to understand the suggestions for the food and water though.
I posted a picture-ignore mess-haven’t cleaned it out yet today.

Attachments

• F44D32DD-C78D-4C8A-9A18-4CAB79FCDDA8.jpeg
    F44D32DD-C78D-4C8A-9A18-4CAB79FCDDA8.jpeg
    879.4 KB · Views: 3
Ok I’m not real comfortable leaving them cooped up(sorry for pun) but I really don’t have any other options. Trying to understand the suggestions for the food and water though.
This is what I use for my ducks
chickenduckwaterer.gif

You can get it at a local feed store. That usually lasts them a few days. You could also supplement with a shallow tote that they can reach just so they can bathe enough. As for the feeder, you can either give them two days worth of feed in one bowl, or make a self refilling feeder out of a tote with holes in the bottom, then filling it with feed. Either works, just make sure they have enough.

This is what I use for my ducks
chickenduckwaterer.gif

You can get it at a local feed store. That usually lasts them a few days. You could also supplement with a shallow tote that they can reach just so they can bathe enough. As for the feeder, you can either give them two days worth of feed in one bowl, or make a self refilling feeder out of a tote with holes in the bottom, then filling it with feed. Either works, just make sure they have enough.
Ok thank you. Was thinking of making a waterer to where they couldn’t get in-just to be put their heads in. Would that be ok? They just make such a big dang mess with their water bowl.

Back
Top Bottom