When good chickens go bad... (photo!)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ADozenGirlz, Apr 9, 2011.

1. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    My half-blind Buff Orpington, Oprah, did this to my 3 year old niece. She got over it quickly (although hasn't forgotten it) but I haven't! Good thing she blinked!!!

[​IMG]

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

[​IMG] Wow! How scary for you and your niece!!! (probably more for YOU, since kids usually don't understand the "what ifs"...)

3. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Sunglasses or safety glasses should be protecting the eyes of anyone who wants to get close and personal with chickens. Even just cheap sunglasses will help prevent this.

[​IMG] for your niece and you.

4. ADozenGirlz

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    I didn't actually witness the pecking-o-the-eye, my mother was supervising. I think these eye-level-to-a-chicken types are especially at risk of this type of injury.

5. PamB

PamB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    I'm so glad she shut her eye in time. I was less fortunate once and still have pain in that eye at times. Luckily, it was a couple millimeters from my sight line, so I didn't lose any sight. I am MUCH more careful now! I'm glad she is ok.

6. Higins00

Higins00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Ct
    are you sure the chicken did this? Looks like she has a bruise under her nose too

7. ADozenGirlz

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:We're positive the chicken did it as her grandmother saw it happen (hence the bandaid b/c as we all know, bandaids fix EVERYTHING when you're three!). At three years old, bruises are a right of passage and to be expected, not necessarily from a chicken, however!

8. ADozenGirlz

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:We're positive the chicken did it as her grandmother saw it happen (hence the bandaid b/c as we all know, bandaids fix EVERYTHING when you're three!). At three years old, bruises are a right of passage and to be expected, not necessarily from a chicken, however!

OH! I just looked at her photo again. That's not a bruise under her nose, that's her birthmark. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by