When have we made it to a "safe zone" or will we ever?

DawsonsPeep

In the Brooder
Mar 5, 2018
Colorado
Our first set of chicks are a week old today. They are all really active, social and eat and drink well. I have tried to repeatedly caution the kids that one (or more) could die and that it would be sad but normal if that were to happen. We held our breath for the 24 hours, and then we were really happy just to have made it 72 hours with all 4 still peeping.

We have Nugget (ameraucana) Dot (Barred Rock) Pickle (BLS) and Fancy (Giant Cochin - who is the smallest of the bunch)

At what point do you feel somewhat secure that they are going to make it - barring any genetic issue, disease or problem with the brooder?

It's been hard to be reserved about falling in love with them - but they are so much fun!

Personally I wouldn't feel safe until they are off heat and fully transitioned to outdoor life (provided they aren't house chickens) for about a month. Depending on geography and weather the transition to outside can be stressful for some little ones. Also they will be introduced to a world of bacteria and parasites that were not in their brooder environment (unless you are brooding outside). I'm not trying to make you paranoid at all, I'm just cautioning that there is a period of adjustment that happens when they make the move outdoors for a variety of factors. Glad your chicks are doing good so far! Maybe making a contingency plan with the kids will help them feel better about it. For example I had decided that if one died, that would be ok, and that might happen, and bringing home a lone chick is not ideal, but if 2 died I had plans to adopt 2 more pullets of the same age. Or maybe they get to name them on the day they move outside, or if the chickens have names, maybe after they move into the coop the kids get to name the coop as a way to celebrate or something.

Our first set of chicks are a week old today. They are all really active, social and eat and drink well. I have tried to repeatedly caution the kids that one (or more) could die and that it would be sad but normal if that were to happen. We held our breath for the 24 hours, and then we were really happy just to have made it 72 hours with all 4 still peeping.

We have Nugget (ameraucana) Dot (Barred Rock) Pickle (BLS) and Fancy (Giant Cochin - who is the smallest of the bunch)

At what point do you feel somewhat secure that they are going to make it - barring any genetic issue, disease or problem with the brooder?

It's been hard to be reserved about falling in love with them - but they are so much fun!
youreally cant be secure till there about a year old to be completely honest...but thats just how i feel,i have lost chickens between chick and teen years,but once there a adults they seem less prone to diseases and can take care of themselves more it seems.you could lose them at any age though.i have lost some of mine due to pecking order which is going to happen sometimes,especially since i have alot of chickens.

Does pecking order normally change as they mature? The Ameraucana seems the most dominate and bossy of the bunch. Does pecking order happen with age or more so after they are transitioned outdoors?

Does pecking order normally change as they mature? The Ameraucana seems the most dominate and bossy of the bunch. Does pecking order happen with age or more so after they are transitioned outdoors?
yep,it changes sometimes to...but pecking order stays the same when they get older sometimes they will fight to try to be the top hen,but for mine its stayed the same...or when youy add more hens it will change to,if you ever decided to add more you have to do it slowly.

Back
Top Bottom