When/how can I re-integrate

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lifetime chicken lover, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Lifetime chicken lover

Lifetime chicken lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2009
    Rogers, MN
    I have a hen that had an impacted crop. My DH and I performed crop surgery 3 days ago and little Zoe is recovering well...with some adhesion forming at the suture site (which I am trying to release with massage).

But i have a few questions. First of all, when can I put her back on a solid diet? She is presently getting yogurt, medicated starter crumbles soaked in milk or juvenile liquid bird feed, bread soaked in milk, and banana. When can I move her to plain crumbles? Her crop was impacted with a huge ball of hay and grass, can she ever free-range again or will it impact again? Her wound dressing is doubling as a crop bra, will she have to wear a bra forever?
    And finally, how can I reintroduce her to her flock? I put her down next to them while free-ranging and even her best friends started pecking at her!!! Is it best to keep her in a separate cage in the run for a bit so they can get used to each other again? I've thought of this, but it's starting to get a bit chilly outside and I don't want her to get a chill. She's living in the basement right now with a low watt heat lamp.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
    Thanks!

2. Lifetime chicken lover

Lifetime chicken lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2009
    Rogers, MN
    ANyone with an opinion on the subject is welcome to answer! Please...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by