When & how should I reintroduce my hen to the coop??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by citychickengirls, Aug 18, 2008.

1. citychickengirls

citychickengirls Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2008
    Altadena, CA USA
    [​IMG] OK, so now that our Henrietta is eating, drinking on her own (past two days), how soon can I place her back in the coop?
    Back story: bullied from eating by rooster (he's separated now) she almost died from malnutrition.[​IMG] Painful learning curve for everyone. She's now back into normal hen behavior and I'm sure she misses her sister (Emma),(she faired better in the food dept, though just barely). What do I need to do to make this a happy family reunion? What should I look out for? Can her sister also bully her away enough to cause the same problem? What can I give them to fatten these girls up in addition to the layer crumble, sunflower seeds, greens?

Thanks for any and all help and support.
    K&P.

2. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    I'd just keep an eye on them. Generally seperating for a length of days will start the pecking order all over again so she may get picked on from her sister.

As fa as what to feed them? Whatever you can. :) I'd encourage anything healthy at this point and probably leave out free feed at all times since they are recovering from the roo keeping them away from food. (I think that's what you're saying happened?)

3. citychickengirls

citychickengirls Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2008
    Altadena, CA USA
    Thanks for the info.
    I decided to put Henrietta in the coop last night at bed time. This morning I put out two containers of food and water in different spots, let them out and watched. Though Emma didn't really bother Henrietta she was still in I'm staying out of your way mode. After a bit I moved one of the feeders into the coop and placed Henrietta inside. She dove right in to chow down, had her fill and hopped out but when Emma came over, up onto the outside roosting bar went Henrietta, she actually jumped into my lap a couple of times for safety. So... after awhile I decided to step out and give them sometime to get used to each other. Henrietta went back to the roosting bar and Emma perched herself on a large log in the pen. [​IMG] Again I sat outside and watched awhile. Emma then went from the log to join Henrietta which caused Her to find the highest place she could to avoid Emma. Ok I thought, I'll put Emma in a separate outside run and let Henrietta have the run of the pen an coop for part of the day. Hopefully now that the bad boy is out of the mix Emma will settle down herself and find her sisters company perferable to being separated.[​IMG] This whole experience gives new meaning to the term Pecking Order! Our plan is to add in 3-4 more hens once were back from vacation.:aww Will keep posting on the progress.
    Karen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by