When hunting what was DH thinking??? WARRING GRAPHIC READING

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by ginbart, Dec 4, 2009.

1. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    It’s hunting season here in Pa. Two long weeks of it. Well while DH was bringing in his deer, and he needed help because it went down a cliff. He had gotten it the last afternoon the day before and had to tie it to a tree because it was getting dark out. So he gutted it and left it there for the night. The next morning when him and another guy went to get the deer the guts were gone. So he’s bring this deer up and he heard a noise and 3 deer were coming right at them. The last one was walking funny and making a terrible noise he said. He looked at it and saw it had been shot so he killed it and put it out of it’s misery. First, I don’t understand why people shoot deer and do not look for blood and follow them. They shot it in the back my DH shot it in the heart and it died instantly. Second, and most important, where do you think DH cleaned out that deer? Right next to the barn where my chickens are. He told me the first day of hunting he saw a nice fox down in the woods and I said that’s good as long as it stay’s down there it’s ok. Now I have deer guts 200 feet from my house. He drives me nuts. I can’t let my dogs out because they go right to it. I'm worried that the fox may come up and eat these or what ever did eat the ones down in the woods. I’m thinking of getting gloves on and moving his truck over and putting them in the back of his truck and maybe I won’t tell him. [​IMG]

2. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    let your chickens out, they will clean it up. [​IMG]

3. Marlinchaser

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Quote:Nothing like driving along the Turnpike, and everywhere you look guys are walking with guns [​IMG]

4. LastChanceRanch

LastChanceRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Lapeer, Michigan
    My DH and I both hunt our land and we gut our deer near the front part of our property on occassion. The chickens LOVE to clean up what my alaskan malamute does not. We've been doing this for years and have had zero problems.

Of course, we have a rare situation because we also have an alskan malamute running with our flock and don't have to worry about predators (although some would say our malamute is a "predator" but shes well behaved).

Gotta love hunting season. [​IMG]

5. ginbart

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Well the chickens got the left overs from some of the first one he didn't get all the way cleaned. They got the heart and what he couldn't see at the time. I used to hunt but now I can't seem to do it. I go out in the woods and take a long nap. LOL

6. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    By the time my pack of six dogs, including two Great Pyrenees and two German Shepherds, and my flock of chickens, ducks and peacocks got finished with that nice pile of "guts" - there wouldn't be so much as a scrap left for any fox. My flock clean up anything leftover from processing roosters. Let them all at it - it's "good eating" and good for them. Blood, guts and fresh meat is actually a more natural food for chickens than commercial chicken feed - same goes for dogs.

7. Iowa Roo Mom

Iowa Roo Mom Resistance Is Futile

Apr 30, 2009
    Keokuk County
    Quote:First, congrats to your DH on the deer. [​IMG]

Not trying to get flamed here, just going to address your statement. As a hunter, and a bowhunter especially, it isn't always that simple. Oftentimes, a shot is made very near dusk. Then you have the "wait" time before looking for the deer, because if you push and spook an injured deer that hasn't been shot directly in the vitals can go 100's of yards and further. It isn't pleasant, but it happens. Believe me, as a hunter, we don't like that scenario any more than you do.

8. ginbart

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Quote:First, congrats to your DH on the deer. [​IMG]

Not trying to get flamed here, just going to address your statement. As a hunter, and a bowhunter especially, it isn't always that simple. Oftentimes, a shot is made very near dusk. Then you have the "wait" time before looking for the deer, because if you push and spook an injured deer that hasn't been shot directly in the vitals can go 100's of yards and further. It isn't pleasant, but it happens. Believe me, as a hunter, we don't like that scenario any more than you do.

Don't worry you won't get flamed here and I know what you mean. When he shot it it was going up the hill and then turned and went down. And yep at least 100 yards down the cliff.

9. Marlinchaser

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Quote:Thanks, I was just getting ready to start then read that you said No Flaming, so I will honour your statement, but next time watch out [​IMG]

10. ginbart

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Quote:Thanks, I was just getting ready to start then read that you said No Flaming, so I will honour your statement, but next time watch out http://planetsmilies.net/violent-smiley-1374.gif

You better watch out. [​IMG] YOU of all people should know the rules. Sometimes I forget and type faster then my brain thinks. [​IMG]

Sorry I can't spell

Last edited: Dec 5, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by